This Sunday pot roast dinner is an easy one skillet meal that is perfect for Sunday dinner, the holidays, or even a cozy evening at home. The beef roast is cooked low and slow with potatoes and carrots for the best tasting pot roast you have ever had! For a quick overview of this recipe check out my web story for this cast iron skillet pot roast!
As a kid, my mom used to make a pot roast pretty regularly for Sunday dinner. While we were at church, she would cook the roast in the slow cooker with potatoes and carrots. When we got home, the house was always filled with the most amazing aroma. This is my version of her famous pot roast dinner that has quickly become a Sunday dinner staple in our house.
🥩 Ingredient notes
- Roast - I recommend using a chuck roast for this recipe. It has a good marbling of fat which is good for slow cooking and it is rather inexpensive.
- Dry onion soup mix - This is a packet of spices and seasonings that can usually be found in the soup aisle. Sometimes it's used for soup or dip.
- Potatoes & Carrots - I like using baby potatoes and carrots to make it easy to just throw in the pan. You can also use full size potatoes and carrots, just be sure to cut them into smaller pieces that are about the same size so they cook evenly.
🔪 Step by step instructions
First, season your beef and sear it in your pan. This allows for maximum flavor and to seal in the juiciness of the roast.
Next, you will add the potatoes, onions and carrots to that same pan around the roast.
Then, sprinkle the top of the roast with dry onion soup mix and pour the beef broth over the vegetables
Lastly, cover the pan with a lid or aluminum foil and cook low and slow till tender and juicy!
⭐ Top tip
Let your pot roast sit for at least 10 minutes after cooking before you slice it. This helps all the juices redistribute back into the meat so it's not dry.
Simple Sunday Pot Roast Dinner
- Season beef roast with salt and pepper and then sear the roast in the heated pan for 2-3 minutes on each side till browned.
- Remove pan from the heat and add potatoes, carrots, and onions to it around the beef.
- Sprinkle the package of dry onion soup mix over the beef and pour the beef broth on the vegetables.
- Cover the pan completely with a lid or foil and place in the preheated oven for 3 - 3 ½ hours till fork tender. Let rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
- Different veggies - switch out the potatoes and carrots for different veggies like sweet potatoes, brussels sprouts, turnips or green beans!
🥘 Alternative cooking methods
- Slow cooker - Sear the roast in a pan or skillet on the stovetop and then transfer it into the slow cooker. Cooking times will be approximately 4 hours if cooked on high or 8 hours if cooked on low.
- Dutch oven - Sear the roast in the dutch oven on the stovetop and then transfer it into the oven to finish cooking.
- Skillet & baking dish - Sear the roast in a skillet or pan on the stovetop first. Then transfer the seared roast to a baking or casserole dish, add the vegetables, seasoning and broth and finish it in the oven as directed.
💭 Frequently asked questions
I recommend using chuck roast, but you can also use rump roast or brisket. Brisket can be pricer but is good for cooking low and slow. Rump roast can be leaner so cooking times may need adjustment.
It's not necessary but recommended. It adds extra flavor and helps seal in moisture to prevent the meat from drying out.
🍽 More Sunday dinner recipes
If you liked this recipe for my simple Sunday pot roast dinner, check out these other Sunday dinner ideas.
- Homemade Spinach Fettucine
- The Perfect Classic Italian Lasagna
- Italian Style Meatloaf with Marinara
- Carbonara Mac and Cheese
Don't forget! If you make this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and give it a rating. I love to hear from each and every one of you! Tag me on Facebook and Instagram as well! It makes my day to see all of your photos of the food you have made.