These Maple Pecan Sweet Potatoes are to die for and a cinch to put together. Sweetened with maple syrup and topped with brown sugar and pecans.
Maple Pecan Sweet Potatoes for Thanksgiving
Thanksgiving is just about two weeks away, so these next couple weeks I wanted to make sure I shared some delicious side dish recipes that you can add to your menu. While sweet potatoes are a standard Thanksgiving menu item, we did not have them growing up. My dad does not like sweet potatoes, so we just opted for your standard mashed potatoes instead. I on the other hand love sweet potatoes, so we have started adding them to our family’s Thanksgiving menu. This recipe is one of my favorite ways to serve sweet potatoes for Thanksgiving dinner. The sweet potatoes are mashed with maple syrup, seasoned with spices and then topped with a brown sugar pecan topping and lastly baked in the oven.
How to Steam Sweet Potatoes
For this recipe, I like to steam my sweet potatoes before I mash them. Not sure the best way to steam sweet potatoes? I have step-by-step instructions for two different methods spelled out in my post for my Sweet Potato Turkey Chili. Click that link to see how to steam sweet potatoes in either an instant pot or in a steamer basket. I prefer to do mine in an instant pot, so I can continue working on other things while they cook.
How to Make Maple Pecan Sweet Potatoes
Now that you know how to steam your sweet potatoes, here’s how to put this delicious dish together.
- Peel, chop and steam your sweet potatoes.
- Mash steamed sweet potatoes with half and half and real maple syrup.
- Season with spices and salt and place in an oven-safe dish.
- Mix together brown sugar, pecans, and butter for your topping and crumble it over the sweet potatoes.
- Bake until sweet potatoes are warm and topping is crispy!
Maple Pecan Sweet Potatoes
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes
- ½ cup half and half
- ¼ cup real maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
Brown Sugar Pecan Topping
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
- ½ stick unsalted butter
- Peel the sweet potatoes and chop them into 1" cubes.
- Steam sweet potatoes in a steamer basket on the stovetop or in an instant pot. (SEE NOTE)
- While sweet potatoes are steaming, preheat the oven to 350°.
- Place steamed sweet potatoes in a large bowl with the half and half and maple syrup. Mash sweet potatoes with a potato masher until the desired consistency is reached.
- Add ground cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, allspice, and salt and stir to make sure everything is well incorporated.
- In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, pecans, and butter and stir together until well mixed.
- Place mashed sweet potatoes in an oven-safe dish and top with the brown sugar and pecan topping.
- Bake sweet potatoes in the preheated oven for 35-45 minutes or just heated through and brown on the top.
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @SaporitoKitchen on Instagram and hashtag it #SaporitoKitchen
I hope you enjoyed this recipe, keep an eye out for more Thanksgiving side dishes. Also, make sure you comment below and tell me if you are a sweet potato lover!