Before I get started, I have to apologize. I’m sorry you guys haven’t heard from me in a while. I’m working through some issues on my site, please forgive me! I realized a couple weeks ago that my email notifications have not been working. When I post a new recipe on the blog, you should be getting an email notification so you can view it. Apparently, that isn’t happening! I’m still working to improve it, but I think I have temporarily fixed it for now. Alright, now that we have that out of the way… potatoes! Yes, you heard me right, potatoes. Not any normal potatoes, but a delicious little combo of both light and fluffy Russet potatoes and silky sugary sweet potatoes. These Herb Roasted Thick Sliced Potatoes are my new fav!
You all know that roasted vegetables are kind of my jam. Roasting vegetables of any kind bring a depth of flavor to them that is hard to ignore. I love roasting potatoes because they get nice and crispy on the outside and soft and fluffy on the inside. Slicing them thick gives them a unique twist that makes them hearty, fun and extremely snackable. Can we call them healthy French fries? Ok, let’s.
I get asked often what the trick is to roasting vegetables. There’s are a couple tips I can offer you. Make sure you use high heat, somewhere between 375-400 seems to be perfect. Use your favorite oil to lightly coat the vegetable. Don’t soak them. We aren’t trying to fry these suckers. Lightly coating them will lend to the perfect outside crisp. Most importantly, don’t overcrowd your dish. I prefer to roast veggies on a sheet pan because I get a nice flat, wide surface to spread them out on. Make sure you place them in a single layer and give a little space in between each piece. If things are too crowded or stacked on top of each other, they will steam and not roast evenly. You can flip or toss your veggies half way through cooking. This ensures even browning on both sides.
These potatoes are a great side dish and quick and easy to make. You can use dried herbs if you don’t have any fresh herbs on hand. They make a great salad topping or just a filling snack. You decide!
Don’t forget, if you make one of my recipes, make sure you share a picture of it with me!
You can post and tag me, I’d love to see all of your creations! #SaporitoKitchen
Pinterest: Saporito Kitchen
Facebook: Saporito Kitchen
Pin This Recipe Now!
Herb Roasted Thick Sliced Potatoes
- 2 large sweet potatoes, scrubbed
- 2 large russet baking potatoes, scrubbed
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons fresh sage, chopped
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or foil.
- Sliced potatoes in thick coins, approximately 1" thick, discarding the ends.
- In a large bowl, combine oil and herbs. Add potato slices to the oil and herbs. Toss to make sure all of the slices are completely coated in the mixture.
- Lay potato slices out on the prepared baking sheet in a single layer and sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Roasted at 400 degrees for 30 minutes, or until potatoes are fork tender and lightly browned.