I have made and tried many a banana bread in my day. There are a ton of recipes out there, all with different variations. Some have nuts, chocolate chips or even cream cheese. When it comes to my family, we like straight up Banana Bread. This moist and delicious Greek Yogurt Banana Bread is easy to make and a definite crowd pleaser. The addition of the greek yogurt is the secret weapon in this recipe. It keeps the bread moist and adds the perfect flavor to it.
I have mentioned my method for preserving overripe bananas before on my Instagram. Everyone has those one or two bananas that sit on the counter just a little bit too long and get brown and mushy. I take those bananas and just throw them in the freezer, peel and all. When I need said bananas, I pull them out of the freezer and thaw them for a bit. You can let them sit on the counter or pop them in the microwave for 30-60 seconds. This thaws them just enough to loosen them from the peel. I snip the tops off with scissors and then the banana will squeeze out of the peel like a tube of toothpaste. For baking, this method is perfect. You don’t have to mash the banana because it’s already mushy and mixes in easily with your other ingredients.
The flavor yogurt that I prefer to use is a honey vanilla flavored greek yogurt. I would definitely recommend using this kind or a regular vanilla flavor, however, a plain greek yogurt would work as well. You can also feel free to add chocolate chips or walnuts to this recipe. If you don’t have overripe bananas lying around, you can use fresh ones. I prefer using “old” bananas because the flavor is just a little bit sweeter. This recipe is a cinch to throw together. All you have to do is mix up the wet ingredients, then mix up the dry ingredients and then mix them all together. Pop it in the oven, and in less than an hour, you have the most delicious snack! All you have to do after that, is to try not to eat it all in one sitting!
How do you like your banana bread?
Don’t forget, if you make one of my recipes, make sure you share a picture of it with me!
You can post and tag me, I’d love to see all of your creations! #SaporitoKitchen
Pinterest: Saporito Kitchen
Facebook: Saporito Kitchen
Greek Yogurt Banana Bread
- 1 cup mashed banana, 3 small or 2 large bananas
- 1/2 cup honey vanilla greek yogurt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 large whole eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease and line 9" x 5" loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine banana, yogurt, melted butter, eggs and vanilla extract. Whisk until ingredients are well combined.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugars, baking soda, baking powder and salt and whisk to combine.
- Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk together until just combined.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes, until bread is browned and toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the middle.
- Let banana bread cool for 5-10 minutes before slicing.