I’ve been on a lemon kick lately, so I decided to share my Gluten Free Lemon Chicken Pasta. This pasta is light, delicious and the perfect balance of flavors. Whether you maintain a gluten free diet or not, this dish is sure to be a favorite for lunch or dinner.
Gluten Free Lemon Chicken Pasta
I realize that it’s officially Fall now, wah, wah. Just kidding, I actually love Fall. I just also love Summer flavors, especially lemon. Traditionally lemon is thought of as a Summertime flavor, but I eat it all year long. This pasta is something I make all year long for my family and they love it. It also works well for lunches too! Now, if you aren’t gluten free or don’t like gluten free pasta, don’t worry. This recipe is easily made with regular pasta too. We have some gluten intolerances in our family, so I try to use gluten free pasta if I can, but I have also made it with regular pasta and it turns out just as good.
What Type of Pasta?
In the world of gluten free, things have definitely advanced over the years. In the past, I have had to experiment with a gluten free diet for various reasons. Products now are WAY better than they used to be 10 or even 5 years ago. There are so many different options too, it’s amazing. If you are looking for a basic substitute that is close to regular pasta, I recommend Barilla Gluten Free Penne. I think it’s the most like regular pasta and holds up well in cooking. If you are a bit more adventurous, there are so many other types of pasta out there that you can try:
- Rice Pasta
- Corn Pasta
- Chickpea Pasta
- Black Bean Pasta
- Lentil Pasta
If you are experimenting with a gluten free diet, I recommend trying a few different types and brands to see what you like and what works the best for you.
How to Make Gluten Free Lemon Chicken Pasta
Now, onto the good stuff, how to make this recipe! There are just a few simple steps to follow, which I will go over here but exact details are below in the recipe card.
- Marinate your chicken! Doing so will one, add more flavor to the chicken and two, help keep the chicken tender. Make sure you leave time to do this step, it makes a difference. It’s only about an hour, but make sure you stir things about half way through to redistribute all of the flavors.
- Next, you need to cook your pasta and your chicken. Do both of these simultaneously so you can maximize your time. Start heating your water for the pasta as well as your pan for the chicken. It’s best to cook your pasta per the package instructions because it varies depending on the pasta you choose to use. The chicken should take about 3 minutes each side. Once your chicken is nicely browned, remove it off of the heat and then drain your pasta.
- Lastly, you will add your cooked and drained pasta to your cooked chicken pieces. I like to do this in the pan that I cooked the chicken in because the drippings will make a sauce for your chicken. Add your fresh parsley and toss everything together!
Gluten Free Lemon Chicken Pasta
- ½ cup olive oil
- ⅓ cup fresh lemon juice, approximately 2 medium lemons
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon lemon pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 pound chicken breasts, cut into 1" chunks
- 12 oz gluten free penne pasta
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- In a medium sized bowl or container, mix together olive oil, lemon juice, salt, lemon pepper, garlic powder and thyme leaves. Add chicken and stir to combine. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 1 hour. After 30 minutes, uncover, stir everything again, recover and continue to marinate for the remaining time.
- After chicken has finished marinating, cook gluten free pasta according to package instructions.
- While pasta is cooking, cook marinated chicken in a medium sized sauté pan over medium high heat for approximately 3 minutes per side till golden brown. Remove from heat.
- When pasta is done cooking, drain it well and add to the pan with the cooked chicken. Add in fresh parsley and toss everything together until well combined.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as our family does. Hankering for more lemon? Here are some more favorites:
- Lemon Blueberry Dutch Baby
- Grilled Italian Zucchini with Lemon
- Mini Mascarpone Cheesecakes with Lemon Curd