This spicy sriracha hummus recipe is made with fresh garlic and is so easy to make at home. With just 5 minutes and few ingredients, you can have the best spicy hummus dip for fresh vegetables, crackers or chips!
This post was originally published in April 2018 and has been updated for content.
I have always been a fan of hummus, but in recent years, I have learned that homemade hummus is so easy to make and twice as delicious as the store bought stuff. There are endless flavor combinations, plus it's typically gluten free and vegan and great for keeping in your fridge for a quick snack.
🌶 Ingredient notes
- Chickpeas - Also referred to as garbanzo beans, these beans are from the legume family and a key ingredient in hummus. This quick recipe uses canned chickpeas, however, dried chickpeas may also be used. Make sure you cook dried chickpeas before using them for this spicy sriracha hummus.
- Tahini - Tahini is creamy paste made from sesame seeds that has a strong earthy flavor that gives hummus its extra creamy texture.
- Sriracha - The spicy flavor comes from Sriracha which is a type of hot chili sauce that is used in a lot of asian dishes. Depending on your desired level of spiciness, this can be adjusted or omitted to suite your taste buds.
🥣 Step by step instructions
First, combine all of the ingredients in a food processor or high powered blender. Blend ingredients on high to your desired consistency, stopping halfway to scrape down to ensure everything is well combined.
Place finished spicy sriracha hummus in a serving bowl and drizzle with a little bit of olive oil and sriracha for garnish. Serve with your favorite, chips, crackers or fresh vegetables.
⭐ Expert tips
- A medium lemon generally yields between 3-5 tablespoons of lemon juice. I recommend adding the juice of one lemon and then pureeing the spicy sriracha hummus. If the hummus is too thick, add the juice from the second lemon and more olive oil if needed.
- This sriracha hummus can be blended to your desired consistency. If you like your hummus super smooth, it's best to use a high powered blender or food processor. If you like your hummus a little chunkier, then just pulse the ingredients.
🥡 Storage instructions
This spicy sriracha hummus recipe will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for about 3-4 days. It can also be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw frozen hummus in the refrigerator for about 24 hours. Stir or blend thawed sriracha hummus to make it creamy again, if needed.
🧀 More snack recipes
If you loved this spicy sriracha hummus recipe, check out these other snack recipes that I know you will love too!
- Fried Goat Cheese Balls
- Baked Pepperoni Pizza Dip
- Roasted Artichokes with Parmesan
- Whipped Ricotta with Lemon
Don't forget! If you make this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and give it a rating. I love to hear from each and every one of you! Tag me on Facebook and Instagram as well! It makes my day to see all of your photos of the food you have made.
Spicy Sriracha Hummus Recipe
- 15.5 ounces canned chickpeas rinsed and drained (approximately 1.75 cups)
- 1-2 medium lemons juice only (see note below)
- 2 Tablespoons tahini
- 1 Tablespoon chopped garlic approximately 3 cloves
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil plus extra for garnish
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha plus extra for garnish
- A medium lemon generally yields between 3-5 tablespoons of lemon juice. Add the juice of one lemon and then puree the hummus. If the hummus is too thick, add more lemon juice and/or olive oil.
- This hummus can be blended to your desired consistency. For super smooth hummus, it's best to use a high powered blender or food processor. For chunkier hummus, pulse the ingredients slowly until the desired consistency is achieved.
- This hummus will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for about 3-4 days. It can also be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw frozen hummus in the refrigerator for about 24 hours. Stir or blend thawed hummus to make it creamy again, if needed.