This creamy tomato soup is a quick and tasty weeknight meal that is made extra creamy with a generous amount of mascarpone cheese and finished off with fresh basil. For a quick overview of this recipe, check out my web story for Creamy Tomato Mascarpone Soup!
Tomato soup is always a staple in our house this time of year. My kids love dunking their grilled cheese in it and it's especially tasty with a fresh loaf of homemade Italian bread. This recipe is our new favorite homemade tomato soup. It's simple and easy to make for a weeknight meal and is warm and comforting on a cold winter night.
🍅 Ingredient notes
- Onions, carrots, celery, and garlic - these will be sauteed to start as the flavor base for this soup
- Canned whole peeled tomatoes - I recommend San Marzano tomatoes if you can find them. They are sweeter and less acidic and perfect for this soup
- Vegetable broth - this will be added to the soup for additional flavor and more liquid to increase the volume of the soup
- Mascarpone cheese - this is an Italian cheese, similar to cream cheese that has a rich buttery flavor that finishes this soup off perfectly
- Fresh basil - this is optional and used at a garnish at the end, but it adds a nice freshness to the soup!
🔪 Step by step instructions
First, saute your onions, carrots, celery, and garlic in olive oil with salt and pepper till the vegetables start to soften.
Next, add the vegetable broth and canned tomatoes. Bring this mixture to a boil, then lower the temperature and simmer for 15 minutes.
Lastly, whisk in the mascarpone cheese until it's completely melted, and serve with a fresh basil garnish!
⭐ Top tip
When blending the soup in a blender, you may need to work in batches and start at a low speed. When you blend things that are very hot, the extra steam can cause the lid to fly off and hot soup to go everywhere!Print
- Extra cheese - add some freshly grated parmesan to the top of your bowl of soup for some extra cheesiness!
- Vegan - to make this soup vegan, omit the mascarpone soup and replace it with a can of coconut milk
💭 Frequently asked questions
This tomato soup is naturally gluten free and not thickened with flour, but blended instead.
If you want to make this soup extra creamy, add in ½ cup of heavy cream with the mascarpone cheese.
🍲 More soup recipes
If you enjoyed this Creamy Tomato Soup with Mascarpone, here are even more homemade soup recipes that I know you will love:
Don't forget! If you make this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and give it a rating. I love to hear from each and every one of you! Tag me on Facebook and Instagram as well! It makes my day to see all of your photos of the food you have made.