This creamy tomato soup is a quick and tasty weeknight meal that is made extra creamy with a generous amount of mascarpone cheese and finished off with fresh basil. For a quick overview of this recipe, check out my web story for Creamy Tomato Mascarpone Soup!
Tomato soup is always a staple in our house this time of year. My kids love dunking their grilled cheese in it and it's especially tasty with a fresh loaf of homemade Italian bread. This recipe is our new favorite, that is simple for a weeknight meal or on a cold winters night.
🍅 Ingredient notes
- Whole Peeled Tomatoes - I recommend San Marzano tomatoes for this recipe as they are sweeter, less acidic and perfect in this creamy tomato soup.
- Mascarpone cheese - Mascarpone is a creamy Italian cheese that is similar to cream cheese. It has a rich buttery flavor that finishes this soup off perfectly.
🔪 Step by step instructions
First, saute your onions, carrots, celery, and garlic in olive oil with salt and pepper till the vegetables start to soften.
Next, add the vegetable broth and canned tomatoes. Bring this mixture to a boil, then lower the temperature and simmer for 15 minutes.
Lastly, whisk in the mascarpone cheese until it's completely melted, and serve with a fresh basil garnish!
⭐ Top tip
When blending the soup in a blender, you may need to work in batches and start at a low speed. When you blend things that are very hot, the extra steam can cause the lid to fly off and hot soup to go everywhere!
- Extra cheese - add some freshly grated parmesan to the top of your bowl of soup for some extra cheesiness!
- Vegan - to make this soup vegan, omit the mascarpone soup and replace it with a can of coconut milk.
💭 Frequently asked questions
This tomato soup is naturally gluten free and not thickened with flour, but blended instead.
If you want to make this soup extra creamy, add in ½ cup of heavy cream with the mascarpone cheese.
🍲 More soup recipes
Creamy Tomato Soup with Mascarpone
- Heat olive oil in a large pot on the stovetop over medium heat. Once the olive oil starts to shimmer, add in onions, carrots, celery, and garlic. Stirring occasionally, allow the vegetables to saute in the olive oil for 3-5 minutes until they start to soften.
- Add in whole peeled tomatoes and vegetable broth and stir to combine, making sure to scrape any stuck on bits off the bottom of the pot.
- Increase the heat to medium high and bring the mixture to a boil. Once the mixture starts to boil, reduce the heat to medium low and allow to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove soup off of the heat and transfer into a blender. Starting on low speed, blend the soup to the desired consistency. Speed can be increased slowly to achieve a smooth consistency. Depending on the size of the blender, this may need to be done in batches. Soup can also be blended using an immersion blender.
- Add the blended soup back to the pot and stir in mascarpone cheese until it is completely melted in.
- Serve soup with thinly sliced fresh basil leaves for garnish.