This is the last of the savory recipes I’m going to share with you this week. Cornbread Stuffing with Chicken Apple Sausage is a winner for Thanksgiving dinner. I love the different texture and flavor that the cornbread brings to the party. This recipe is studded with savory chicken apple sausage, vegetables and last but not least, sweet apples.
Going back to my traditions growing up, we always had Stove Top stuffing. It’s my dad’s favorite and reminds him of what his mom made growing up. I have only started to make cornbread stuffing as of recent and I have to say, I’m a huge fan. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not Thanksgiving without the Stove Top, but I like to try other types of stuffing too. Maybe I like it because it’s different, or maybe just because I’m a huge fan of cornbread. Either way, you have to give it a try.
Now there seems to be ahuge debate on dressing versus stuffing. I always thought that the distinction between the two was how they were cooked. Stuffing was cooked, or rather STUFFED, in the turkey as opposed to dressing, that was something to go along with the turkey, but cooked separately. I have also heard that the difference between the two is a regional thing. Much like the big soda versus pop debate. I grew up calling it stuffing, so that’s what I’m going with!
Is it Stuffing or Dressing?
Now don’t forget, if you make one of my recipes, make sure you share a picture of it with me!
You can post and tag me, I’d love to see all of your creations! #SaporitoKitchen
Pinterest: Saporito Kitchen
Facebook: Saporito Kitchen
Cornbread Stuffing with Chicken Apple Sausage
- 4 cups cornbread, crumbled
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- 12 oz chicken apple sausage, diced
- 2 large celery stalks, diced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 1 large apple, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 sprig fresh sage
- 3 cups chicken stock
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil and grease a 9x13 baking dish.
- On the baking sheet, spread out cornbread into one even layer. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes until lightly browned.
- In a medium saute pan heat olive oil & butter over medium high heat. Add in sausage and saute for 2 minutes until lightly browned. Add in celery, carrots and onions and saute for another 5-7 minutes, or until vegetables are softened. Remove from the heat and stir in salt, pepper and fresh herbs.
- Combine cornbread and sausage & vegetable mixture in the prepared baking dish. Pour chicken stock over the top of the stuffing and press the cornbread down to make sure all of the cornbread absorbs the chicken stock.
- Check for seasoning and add salt & pepper as needed. Bake in preheated oven to 60-75 minutes until golden brown.