Calling all breakfast fiends! This Brown Sugar Cinnamon French Toast is the best french toast recipe out there. It’s light and fluffy on the inside and has a sweet caramelized brown sugar crust on the outside. This easy french toast recipe will be your new go-to for breakfast or brunch!
French Toast for Breakfast
If you know me, then you know I’m a huge breakfast and brunch fan. Our family loves making big breakfasts on Sunday mornings and we have also been known to have breakfast for dinner on more than one occasion. We even switched up our normal appetizer tradition for New Year’s Eve this year and did breakfast in our PJ’s for the big night. French toast is probably one of the most requested breakfast items in our house. This Brown Sugar Cinnamon French Toast recipe has been a family favorite for years now. It’s great with fresh berries, powdered sugar, or plain old maple syrup.
Making French Toast
French toast is made by dipping slices of bread into an egg mixture and then frying it in a pan. It’s best made with thicker slices of bread that are a bit stale. Having the bread be stale allows for it to completely soak up the egg mixture. This makes for a soft custard type middle to your french toast. Stale, thick-sliced bread also helps to make sure your bread doesn’t fall apart after being soaked in the egg mixture. I love adding brown sugar to the egg mixture because it allows the french toast to form a light caramelized crust on the outside. Not only is this delicious, but it also helps seal in the moisture.
How to Make Brown Sugar Cinnamon French Toast
This fluffy french toast recipe is a cinch to put together and makes for a delicious anytime meal. Here is what you will need:
- Half and half (milk also works)
- Brown Sugar
- Bread (thick slices and stale work best)
Now that you have everything you need, let’s get to cooking!
- First, combine your eggs with the half and half, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Give them a good whisk with a fork to make sure the eggs are broken up and everything is nice and combined.
- Next, preheat your pan over medium heat. I like to use my Lodge Griddle Pan but any other cast iron pan or non-stick skillet will work as well.
- Then, add your butter to the pan and make sure it melts completely and coats the entire bottom of the pan.
- Dip each slice of bread into the egg mixture, making sure it soaks into the bread on both sides, and add it to the pan.
- Cook the french toast for about 1-2 minutes on each side till golden brown. Repeat with the remaining slices and enjoy!
More Breakfast Ideas…
If you enjoyed this recipe, then check out these other delicious breakfast recipes that our family loves:
- Hash Brown Quiche with Pancetta
- Rustic Chive and White Cheddar Biscuits
- Waffles and Soft Scrambled Eggs with Spinach and Tomato
- Old Fashioned Buttermilk Pancakes
- Lemon Blueberry Dutch Baby
Lastly, if you make this recipe for my Brown Sugar Cinnamon French Toast, please be sure to leave a comment and give it a rating. I love to hear from each and every one of you! Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram as well, if you make any of my recipes. It makes my day to see all of your photos of the food you have made.
**This post was originally published in September 2017 and was re-published in January 2021