This tasty french toast is light, fluffy with a sweet caramelized brown sugar crust on the outside. This easy recipe will be your new go-to for breakfast or brunch! For a quick overview of this recipe, check out my web story for this tasty french toast with brown sugar!
If you know me, then you know I'm a huge breakfast fan. Our family loves making big breakfasts on Sunday mornings and we have also been known to have breakfast for dinner on more than one occasion. This french toast recipe made with brown sugar has been a family favorite for years now. It's great with fresh berries, powdered sugar, or plain old maple syrup.
🥖 Ingredient notes
- Bread - any type of bread works, but thicker, stale bread will work best. Texas toast, Italian/French bread, brioche, or even challah would work great!
- Half and half - I like using half and half, but milk or heavy cream will also work if that is what you have on hand.
- Brown Sugar - brown sugar has molasses in it which gives it a richer, caramel flavor that makes an amazing sweet crust on this french toast.
🥣 Step by step instructions
First, combine your eggs with the half and half, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Give them a good whisk with a fork to make sure the eggs are broken up and everything is nice and combined.
Next, preheat your pan over medium heat. I like to use my griddle pan, but an electric griddle or another flat pan will work too. Add some butter to the pan and make sure it melts completely and coats the entire bottom of the pan. Dip each slice of bread into the egg mixture, making sure it soaks into the bread on both sides.
Add the soaked slice of bread to the hot buttered pan and cook for about 1-2 minutes on each side till golden brown.
Repeat with the remaining slices of bread, top with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
⭐ Top tip
Use a thicker type of bread that is maybe a little bit on the stale side. It helps easily absorb the egg mixture without the bread falling apart to make a fluffy, custard middle.Print
- Gluten free - use your favorite gluten free bread to make this recipe gluten free
- Dairy free - substitute the half and half for your favorite unsweetened dairy free milk to make this recipe dairy free
🍓 Topping ideas
- Maple syrup
- Fresh fruit
- Chopped nuts
- Powdered sugar
- Chocolate chips
- Yogurt and granola
- Whipped cream
🍳 More breakfast recipes
If you loved this easy french toast recipe, check out these other breakfast recipes that I know you will love!
Don't forget! If you make this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and give it a rating. I love to hear from each and every one of you! Tag me on Facebook and Instagram as well! It makes my day to see all of your photos of the food you have made.