I think one of my favorite things is to smell something that is baking in the oven. My Black Forest Ham & Cheddar Biscuits are one of those things. The smell of fresh baked biscuits in the morning is something pretty special, combine that with smoky ham and sharp cheddar and you will feel like you have died and gone to heaven!
I have been on a quest to master baking, something that until recently, scared me… like a lot. There are so many variables when baking. The quantities have to be precise, the weather can effect the ingredients and much more. In an effort to conquer my fear, I stared that fear right in the face and started baking. I’ve been making bread, cookies, rolls….biscuits, Everything. I have to say, it’s been going rather well. Once I came to the realization that baking is just about ratios, then it all became very clear to me. In baking, it’s important to understand what role each ingredient plays in a recipe. For example, baking powder has a job. Omitting it or changing the quantity, will have a certain effect on the finished product. I started learning and understanding what these roles were and it has opened many doors for me.
These biscuits are so tasty when served fresh, but I also like to keep them in the fridge for a quick breakfast for my husband or kids. Sometimes getting everyone up and out the door is slightly challenging in the mornings, I like have things like this that I can grab quick to give them with some fruit or yogurt before they run out the door. We also like making these when we have breakfast for dinner; served up with some honey butter…delish!
If you make this recipe, make sure you share a photo with me, I’d love to see all of your creations! #SaporitoKitchen
Pinterest: Saporito Kitchen
Facebook: Saporito Kitchen
Black Forest Ham & Cheddar Biscuits
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoons kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut in small pieces
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup diced black forest ham
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, for greasing pan
- Preheat a cast iron pan in the oven at 400 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, add flour, baking powder and salt and stir to combine with a wooden spoon.
- Add in cold butter pieces and cut into the flour with a pastry cutter or fork until butter pieces are pea sized and well incorporated into the flour.
- Add in buttermilk, ham and cheese and stir with wooden spoon until the mixture just comes together.
- Place the bowl with the biscuit dough in the freezer for 5 minutes to make sure the ingredients are cold.
- While you are waiting for the dough, add 2 Tablespoons of butter to the preheated cast iron pan in the oven and let it completely melt.
- Once the butter is melted, remove pan from the oven using a oven mitt (it will be hot!). Remove dough from the freezer and scoop out of the bowl into 8 equal rounds and place in the preheated and buttered cast iron pan.
- Place the pan with the biscuits back in the oven and bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes until tops and edges of the biscuits are golden brown.