I love all the different vegetables and fruits that come with this time of year. Actually, I think I am starting to love Winter produce more than I love Summer produce. I can’t get enough of all the different types of squash and root vegetables that are available. These Balsamic Roasted Brussels Sprouts are one of my favorites.
During the Winter time I especially love to roast all types of vegetables. When you roast vegetables in the oven they get crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. Brussels sprouts are one of my favorite types of vegetables to roast. When you roast them in the oven, the little outside leaves get nice and crispy, like chips. The little browned leaves are my favorite to eat! While the outside gets nice and crispy, the inside is nice and soft, making for the perfect combination. Roasting them really does make them take on a different flavor. I have added some balsamic vinegar to this recipe which really helps them caramelize and gives them a sweet sticky coating. The addition of the salty pistachios and tart cranberries make this the perfectly balanced side dish.
Growing up we never ate Brussels sprouts. My mom was served them as a kid just steamed and hated them, so she never made them for us. I remember making them roasted like this before for her and she couldn’t believe how different they tasted. Now this is one of our favorite side dishes to make, especially around the holidays. The kids love eating them too, which makes it even better!
What’s your favorite Winter vegetable?
Don’t forget, if you make one of my recipes, make sure you share a picture of it with me!
You can post and tag me, I’d love to see all of your creations! #SaporitoKitchen
Pinterest: Saporito Kitchen
Facebook: Saporito Kitchen
Balsamic Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- 1 pounds Brussels sprouts
- 1/3 cup shelled pistachios
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons vanilla balsamic vinegar, **can use plain balsamic**
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Wash Brussels sprouts and using a small paring knife, trim the ends and remove any yellow leaves. Cut all Brussels sprouts in half from top to bottom.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine Brussels sprouts, pistachios and cranberries.
- In a small bowl, combine olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Pour oil & vinegar mixture, over the Brussels sprouts mixture. Season with salt and pepper and toss to combine.
- Pour Brussels sprouts onto prepared baking sheet and roast for 30 minutes, turning about half way through the cooking time.