White Chocolate Peppermint Shortbread Cookies are the perfect holiday cookie! Buttery shortbread cookies are dipped in white chocolate & topped with crushed peppermint candies.
- ¾ pound unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon peppermint extract
- 3 ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 ounces white chocolate (chopped finely)
- ½ cup crushed peppermint candies or candy canes
- In a large bowl or bowl of a stand mixer, combine butter, sugar and peppermint extract. Mix with a hand mixer or stand mixer on medium speed until butter and sugar are just combined.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour and salt. With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix until just combined.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and shape into a large disk. Wrap disk in plastic wrap and place in the fridge to chill for 30 minutes.
- While the dough is chilling, preheat oven to 350° and line two sheet pans with parchment paper.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and take out of the plastic wrap. Place dough on a floured surface and roll out to approximately ¼" thickness. Use a glass or round cookie cutter (approximately 2 ½" diameter) to cut circles out of the dough and place on prepared cookie sheets. When no more room is left to cut circles, combine scraps back into a ball of dough and roll out to cut more circles. If the dough gets too soft and sticky, place back in the fridge to chill.
- Bake cookies on the middle rack of the preheated oven for 18-20 minutes until the edges just barely start to turn golden brown.
- Remove cookies from the oven and let cool for 2 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once cookies are cooled, place white chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave in 30 seconds intervals at 50% power, stirring in between. Be careful not to microwave too long or the chocolate will burn. Only cook it until the chocolate is 75% melted and then stir it until it finishes melting.
- Dip the front half of the cooled cookies in the white chocolate and place on a clean piece of parchment or waxed paper. Once cookies are all dipped, sprinkled crushed peppermint candies or candy canes on the white chocolate portion of the cookies. Let chocolate set up completely before serving or storing.
Shortbread Cookies recipe is from Ina Garten
Recipe yields approximately 2 1/2 dozen cookies
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 210
Keywords: chocolate, cookies, holidays, peppermint, vegetarian