This creamy whipped ricotta is infused with lemon for a super easy appetizer that can be served with grilled bread, fresh vegetables, or even crackers. This tasty spread is perfect for snacking or a Summertime BBQ. For a quick overview of this recipe, check out my web story for this lemon whipped ricotta!
When planning a menu for a get-together, I really like to focus on making at least one or two simple dishes. It makes it easier on myself and I think simple is best sometimes. Easy appetizers are a great way to reduce your time in the kitchen while still making something flavorful for your guests.
🍋 Ingredient notes
- Ricotta - I highly recommend using whole milk ricotta for this recipe. It's thicker and creamier and will make a better spread. Part-skim ricotta is a bit more watery and won't make the best creamy spread for this appetizer. You can also make your own homemade ricotta if you like!
- Grilled bread - I like serving this whipped ricotta with slices of grilled Italian baguette. Alternatively, you can serve this with bagel chips, crackers, or even vegetables!
🥣 Step by step instructions
Combine the ricotta, olive oil, lemon juice and zest, and salt and pepper in a large mixing bowl.
Using a hand mixer, whip the ingredients together on medium speed for 2-3 minutes until fluffy and well combined. Store spread in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve it.
Slice baguette into 15-20 slices that are about one inch thick. Brush each side with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
Grill the baguette slices on a preheated grill or grill pan for 2-3 minutes on each side until they are lightly browned and toasted.
Serve chilled ricotta mixture with slices of grilled bread!
⭐ Top tip
For a thicker spread, strain your ricotta overnight in cheesecloth over a bowl to remove excess moisture.Print
- Spicy - add your favorite hot sauce or ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes to make a zestier spread!
- Herbs - add a few finely chopped fresh basil leaves to the dip for an herby freshness
- Gluten free - This dip is naturally gluten free, however you can serve it with gluten free crackers, bread or fresh vegetables!
💭 Frequently asked questions
Yes! This whipped ricotta can be made in a food processor, a stand mixer or in a mixing bowl with a hand mixer. You can also whip it by hand too!
Yes. The baguette slices can be toasted in the oven under the broiler, on the grill or even in a grill pan on the stovetop.
🧀 More appetizer recipes
If you loved this recipe for whipped lemon ricotta spread, check out these other homemade appetizers that I know you will love too!
Don't forget! If you make this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and give it a rating. I love to hear from each and every one of you! Tag me on Facebook and Instagram as well! It makes my day to see all of your photos of the food you have made.