This creamy whipped ricotta is infused with lemon for a super easy appetizer that can be served with grilled bread, fresh vegetables, or even crackers. This tasty spread is perfect for snacking or a Summertime BBQ.
When planning a menu for a get-together, I really like to focus on making at least one or two simple dishes. It makes it easier on myself and I think simple is best sometimes. Easy appetizers are a great way to reduce your time in the kitchen while still making something flavorful for your guests.
🍋 Ingredient notes
- Ricotta - I highly recommend using whole milk ricotta for this recipe. It's thicker and creamier and will make a better spread. Part-skim ricotta is a bit more watery and won't make the best creamy spread for this appetizer. You can also make your own homemade ricotta if you like!
- Grilled bread - I like serving this whipped ricotta with slices of grilled Italian baguette. Alternatively, you can serve this with bagel chips, crackers, or even vegetables!
🥣 Step by step instructions
Combine the ricotta, olive oil, lemon juice and zest, and salt and pepper in a large mixing bowl.
Using a hand mixer, whip the ingredients together on medium speed for 2-3 minutes until fluffy and well combined. Store spread in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve it.
Slice baguette into 15-20 slices that are about one inch thick. Brush each side with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
Grill the baguette slices on a preheated grill or grill pan for 2-3 minutes on each side until they are lightly browned and toasted.
Serve chilled ricotta mixture with slices of grilled bread!
If you ever don't recognize a tool or skill that I mention, be sure to look it up in the Glossary of Cooking Terms and Definitions for more information.
⭐ Top tip
For a thicker spread, strain your ricotta overnight in cheesecloth over a bowl to remove excess moisture.
- Spicy - add your favorite hot sauce or ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes to make a zestier spread!
- Herbs - add a few finely chopped fresh basil leaves to the dip for an herby freshness
- Gluten free - This dip is naturally gluten free, however you can serve it with gluten free crackers, bread or fresh vegetables!
💭 Frequently asked questions
Yes! This whipped ricotta can be made in a food processor, a stand mixer or in a mixing bowl with a hand mixer. You can also whip it by hand too!
Yes. The baguette slices can be toasted in the oven under the broiler, on the grill or even in a grill pan on the stovetop.
For a quick overview of this recipe, check out my web story for this lemon whipped ricotta!
🧀 More appetizer recipes
If you loved this recipe for whipped lemon ricotta spread, check out these other homemade appetizers that I know you will love too!
- Cold Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Roasted Grapes and Olives
- Pepperoncini Dip with Bagel Chips
- Pepperoni Pizza Dip
Whipped Ricotta with Lemon
- 15 ounces whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium lemon juice and zest
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 baguette crusty Italian or French bread
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Combine ricotta cheese, olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt, and pepper in a mixing bowl.
- Using a hand mixer, beat on medium speed for 2-3 minutes until the mixture is well combined and creamy.
- Slice baguette into approximately 15-20 slices that are about 1 inch thick. Preheat grill or grill pan on medium high.
- Brush each slice of bread generously on both sides with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill for approximately 2-3 minutes on each side until lightly browned and toasted.
- Serve with whipped ricotta spread.
Made a batch, formed it into quenelles and served it with a Dutch baby and fresh blueberry compote. Everyone loved it.
I love that idea...definitely need to try it next time I do dutch babies.
Mama Maggie's Kitchen
This dish looks incredibly good. I wish it were on my plate!
Oh wow....light and creamy. I loved the lemon in there too.
We had this dip with roasted potato wedges and salad for lunch. It was amazing and so quick to prepare!
That sounds delicious! I'm so glad you enjoyed it, thank you for trying the recipe!
This sounds so delicious, love the addition of lemon to brighten it up!
Great recipe! The whole family loved it!
I love ricotta as a bread dip, and the addition of lemon…so good!
So quick and delicious!
Yum! This is now my favourite way to enjoy ricotta
Michelle | Taste As You Go
This is so addictive!
I love anything with lemon, this looks so good and I can enjoy baguette even more.
Such a delicious and easy appetiser!
Amanda, your recipes are fantastic! I’m making this one this weekend!
Thank you so much! It's a great summer appetizer!