As promised and just in time for Halloween night, I'm sharing my Three Bean Slow Cooker Chili. This chili is our favorite recipe to make and bonus points, because it's also healthy. This chili is naturally vegan and gluten free. My kids love it and it's always a hit at parties.
Chili in the Slow Cooker
My favorite way to make chili is in the slow cooker. Cooking chili low and slow allows time for the flavors to develop and makes for a really tasty dish! It's also nice if you have a busy day ahead, there's nothing better than throwing it all in first thing in the morning to have a dinner hot and ready to go in the evening. In a pinch, this dish can be made on the stove top. I recommend sautéing the garlic, onions and peppers in a bit of olive oil till they are softened. Next, add in the remaining ingredients and simmer for at least 30-60 minutes to allow the flavors time to combine. The longer you can let the chili simmer though, the better.
Chili for Halloween
I know I have mentioned this before, but for those who are new, chili is our go to Halloween night meal. My mom used to make it for us as kids and now I do the same for my family. Three Bean Slow Cooker Chili is the perfect option for Halloween night because you add all of the ingredients to the slow cooker and then let it simmer all day. You can keep it on warm, so whether you are in and out trick or treating or having guests over, it can be enjoyed throughout the evening.
Toppings for Three Bean Slow Cooker Chili
The recipe is written below to be both gluten free and vegan. Feel free to add whatever toppings you like to your chili. Here are some ideas that would work for a variety of diets:
- Sliced Green Onions (vegan, gluten free)
- Chopped Scallions (vegan, gluten free)
- Diced Onions (vegan, gluten free)
- Chopped Fresh Cilantro (vegan, gluten free)
- Tortilla or Corn Chips (check label for ingredients)
- Hot Sauce (check label for ingredients)
- Cheese (dairy or vegan cheese)
- Sour Cream (dairy or vegan sour cream)
- Cornbread (regular or gluten free)
Looking for more recipes for Halloween night? Check out some of my favorites below:
- Halloween Apple Dippers Bar
- Bourbon Apple Cider Cocktail for Fall
- Pepperoni Pizza Dip with Breadsticks
- Roasted Sugar Pumpkin Hummus