If you know me very well, you know I love a good breakfast for dinner. At least once a week in my house we have some sort of breakfast food for one of our dinners. Sometimes it’s waffles or pancakes, sometimes is eggs and bacon, but I think the most requested “Breakfast for Dinner” is crepes. This recipe that I’m going to share with you is for The Perfect Crepe Batter that I have come up with and is definitely my favorite to date. It works for both sweet and savory crepes and it’s super easy to make.
There is one important thing that you need when you want to make a good crepe, and I cannot stress this enough. You MUST have a good, reliable, even heating, NONSTICK pan. A well-seasoned cast iron pan, non-stick pan or even a pan made just for crepes will do the trick. It also helps if the pan doesn’t have any steep high edges. This makes it easier when it comes to flipping time. Any of these pans will work really, it’s just a matter of preference. Keep in mind, that crepes are delicate and it takes some time to get used to making them. Don’t get discouraged if it takes a crepe or three to get it right. There are some occasions that it takes me almost the whole batch to make a decent looking crepe!
As far as the fillings go, this is my favorite part. You get to choose whatever you like and the combinations are limitless! When I make crepes for dinner, I will usually make a savory crepe for everyone and then I will let everyone do a “Make Your Own” crepe for their second. Some of our favorite combinations include:
- Ham and Cheddar
- Eggs and Bacon/Sausage
- Chicken and Pepperjack
- Cottage Cheese and Jam
- Nutella and Peanut Butter
- Lemon Juice and Powdered Sugar
So get yourself a good nonstick pan and get creative with those fillings! Comment back and let me know what your favorite flavors are, I would love to have some new ideas.
Don’t forget, if you make one of my recipes, make sure you share a picture of it with me!
You can post your picture on social media and tag me; I love seeing all of your creations! #SaporitoKitchen
Pinterest: Saporito Kitchen
Facebook: Saporito Kitchen
Pin This Recipe Now!
The Perfect Crepe Batter
- 1 cup whole milk
- 4 large whole eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 scant cup all purpose flour, approximately 4 oz
- 1 Tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- unsalted butter, for greasing the pan
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend on high until batter is smooth and all ingredients are well combined. You may want to stop a couple times to scrape down the sides. This will make sure flour doesn't get stuck to the edges and is well incorporated. The batter should look like a thin pancake batter. It should not be watery but should be on the thin side. Adjust the flour and or milk quantities if needed.
- Once the batter is well mixed, let rest in the fridge for 15 minutes. This allows for bubbles to dissipate and be less likely for your crepes to rip.
- Preheat a non-stick pan on the stovetop over medium heat. Add butter to just coat the pan after it is preheated.
- Pour approximately 1/3 cup of the batter in the center of the pan and swirl the pan to spread it out evenly through the entire surface.
- Cook crepes for 30-60 seconds on the first side before flipping. You'll want to see that the edges are slightly lifted and the batter is no longer glossy in the middle. Carefully flip the crepe over and cook for an additional 15-30 seconds until crepe is set.
- Turn out cooked crepe onto a plate and continue with the rest of the batter until gone.
- Fill crepes with any combination of ingredients you like and enjoy!