These fluffy, buttery Strawberry Buttermilk Biscuits are filled with fresh strawberries and perfect for your next weekend brunch or everyday breakfast.
Strawberry Buttermilk Biscuits
It’s the weekend and the perfect time for me to share these deliciously fluffy biscuits. These Strawberry Buttermilk Biscuits are the bomb. They are a great addition to this weekend’s brunching plans but don’t discount them for your weekday breakfast routine.
Strawberries in Biscuits
My two youngest kids are in love with strawberries, so I made these biscuits especially for them. The fresh strawberries are a nice bright addition to these rich, buttery biscuits. They are great topped with butter or even strawberry jam. Enjoy them with your morning coffee or afternoon tea. They would definitely not be bad for strawberry shortcakes either.
How to Make the Best Buttermilk Biscuits
A word on biscuit making for a minute. Don’t let it intimidate you as it did me. They are really simple if you remember a few key steps. First, make sure you keep your butter and your milk as cold as possible. After I measure out my butter and my milk, I keep them in the freezer until I add them to the dough. I also recommend putting the finished dough in the freezer for a few minutes to make sure everything is still very cold before putting in the oven. This allows the most amount of steam to be produced while baking, thus producing the most fluffy biscuits. Lastly, don’t overmix or over handle the dough. This will cause the biscuits to be tough and will warm up the ingredients too much.
How to Cook Biscuits
When I make any kind of biscuits, I prefer to use a cast-iron skillet. I like the way the biscuits turn out and it’s probably my favorite thing to cook with these days. However, if you don’t have a cast-iron skillet, you can use a small square baking dish or pan and even a round cake pan would work.
Strawberry Buttermilk Biscuits
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 Tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut in small pieces
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, diced
- 2 Tablespoons butter, for greasing pan
- Preheat cast iron pan in the oven at 400 degrees.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Using a whisk, stir dry ingredients together thoroughly.
- Add the 6 Tablespoons cold butter pieces to the dry ingredients and using a pastry cutter or fork, cut the butter into the flour mixture until butter pieces are pea sized and incorporated into the dry ingredients well.
- Add in strawberries and toss to combine.
- Lastly, add in buttermilk and vanilla extract and stir carefully with a spoon or rubber spatula so that ingredients are incorporated, but just barely.
- Place the bowl with the biscuits dough in the freezer for 5 minutes while you complete the next step.
- Add the 2 Tablespoons butter to the preheated pan in the oven and put back in until the butter is melted.
- Once butter is melted, remove the pan from the oven and remove the biscuit dough from the freezer.
- Scoop out biscuit dough in 8 equal pieces and put into the preheated cast iron pan with melted butter.
- Place biscuits back into the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes until biscuits are golden brown.
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @SaporitoKitchen on Instagram and hashtag it #SaporitoKitchen