This easy mac and cheese is the best stovetop mac and cheese recipe. Super creamy, made with white cheddar cheese and ready in just 20 minutes!
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups shredded white cheddar cheese
- 4 ounces white american cheese, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Cook macaroni noodles in a large pot of boiling salted water according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Return the pot to the stovetop and add butter. Heat over medium heat until the butter is melted.
- Once the butter has melted, sprinkle in flour and whisk to combine. Continue to whisk and cook for 2 minutes.
- Slowly add the milk while whisking until it is incorporated with the flour and butter mixture. Whisk in heavy cream and continue to cook while stirring until the sauce thickens. This will take about 3-5 minutes.
- Remove the pot off of the heat and add in the american cheese, cheddar cheese, ground mustard, garlic salt, paprika, and salt. Continue to stir until all of the cheese is melted.
- Add cooked macaroni noodles and stir until all of the noodles are coated with the cheese sauce.
- Category: Main Course, Side Dish
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cheddar cheese, american cheese, macaroni, mac and cheese, pasta, vegetarian