This white cheddar mac and cheese is the best stovetop mac and cheese recipe. Super creamy and cheesy this easy mac and cheese recipe is ready in just 20 minutes and is a favorite of both kids and adults!
This mac and cheese recipe is both creamy and comforting. It's also super easy to whip up for a weekend lunch or weeknight dinner. I love making recipes from scratch and while we do love the blue box, there is something special about homemade mac and cheese.
This easy mac and cheese recipe would be delicious served up with some roast beef sliders, fried chicken sandwiches or homemade sloppy joes.
🧀 Ingredient notes
- Noodles - Even though this is "mac and cheese", you don't have to use macaroni noodles. Shells, penne, or even rotini would also be good!
- Roux - A roux is a mix of equal parts flour and fat that is used as a base to thicken many sauces, soups, and other dishes. This is the base of this white cheddar sauce that makes for a super thick and creamy stovetop mac and cheese.
- Cheese - A combination of both white cheddar cheese and white american cheese is used in this recipe. The white cheddar gives the sauce a nice sharp taste and the white cheddar finishes it off with a nice creaminess. If you like a more sharp taste to your mac and cheese, choose the sharp or even extra sharp white cheddar cheese!
🔪 Step by step instructions
First, cook your macaroni noodles in a large pot of boiling salted water. Drain the noodles and set them aside.
In the same pot, add the butter and melt over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook for 2 minutes, while stirring.
Slowly pour in the milk while whisking until all of the milk is combined and there are no lumps. Whisk in the heavy cream and continue to cook for a few more minutes until the sauce is thickened.
Next, remove the pot off of the heat and add in your cheeses and spices. Stir until all of the cheese is melted.
Lastly, stir in the cooked macaroni noodles until they are completely coated in the cheese sauce.
If you ever don't recognize a tool or skill that I mention, be sure to look it up in the Glossary of Cooking Terms and Definitions for more information.
⭐ Top tip
Cook your noodles in boiling salted water. For 1 pound a pasta I recommend using 4 quarts of water plus 1 Tablespoon of salt.
- Meat - Add cooked rotisserie chicken or smoked sausage to make a heartier dish
- Veggies - Add cooked peas or broccoli florets
- Baked - Pour this into a 9x13 buttered baking dish and top with 1 cup of shredded white cheddar cheese and bake at 350˚ till the cheese is melted.
🥘 More easy dinners
If you loved this recipe for my easy white mac and cheese, check out these other easy dinner recipes that I know you will love!
- One Pot Chicken and Rice
- Dijon Panko Crusted Salmon
- Creamy Sundried Tomato Pasta
- Baked Sausage and Peppers
White Cheddar Mac and Cheese
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 cups white cheddar cheese shredded
- 4 ounces white american cheese cut into small pieces
- ½ teaspoon ground mustard
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- Cook macaroni noodles in a large pot of boiling salted water according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Return the pot to the stovetop and add butter. Heat over medium heat until the butter is melted.
- Once the butter has melted, sprinkle in flour and whisk to combine. Continue to whisk and cook for 2 minutes.
- Slowly add the milk while whisking until it is incorporated with the flour and butter mixture. Whisk in heavy cream and continue to cook while stirring until the sauce thickens. This will take about 3-5 minutes.
- Remove the pot off of the heat and add in the american cheese, cheddar cheese, ground mustard, garlic salt, paprika, and salt. Continue to stir until all of the cheese is melted.
- Add cooked macaroni noodles and stir until all of the noodles are coated with the cheese sauce.
Leave a Comment