These tasty sour cream chicken enchiladas are creamy, cheesy, and made with an easy homemade sauce that is perfect for a weeknight dinner!
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup diced yellow onion
- 2 Tablespoons all purpose flour
- 4 ounces canned diced green chilies
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 ½ cups cooked shredded chicken
- 2 cups shredded cheddar or monterey jack cheese
- 10 taco size flour tortillas
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a skillet or saute pan, melt the butter over medium high heat on the stovetop. When butter is melted, add diced onions and saute for 3-4 minutes until tender and slightly translucent.
- Sprinkle the flour over the sauteed onions and whisk to combine. Continue to cook, while whisking for another 2 minutes.
- Add in green chilies and chicken broth and whisk to combine together. Bring the mixture to a boil and continue to cook, while whisking for another 3 minutes until the sauce starts to thicken.
- Remove the sauce from the heat and whisk in sour cream, salt, and pepper.
- Ladle approximately ½ cup of the sauce into a 9x13 baking dish, just to cover the bottom.
- In a medium bowl, mix together shredded chicken and 1 ¼ cups of the shredded cheese. Place about ⅓ cup of the chicken and cheese mixture into the center of each flour tortilla. Roll up each tortilla tightly and place seam side down into the baking dish.
- Pour the remaining sauce over the top of the tortillas and top with the remaining shredded cheese.
- Cover the pan with foil and bake the enchiladas in the preheated oven for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and enchiladas are heated through.
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Stovetop, Oven
- Cuisine: American, Mexican
Keywords: enchiladas, sour cream, cheese