What better way to celebrate Summer than with smores cheesecake. Rich chocolate cheesecake is layered on a homemade graham cracker crust and then topped with jumbo marshmallows that are toasted. This delicious dessert is reminiscent of an old classic that is perfect for the Fourth of July or your next Summer BBQ!
Smores are the ultimate summer dessert! There is something special about the combination of creamy chocolate, toasted marshmallows, and crunchy graham crackers. It reminds me of everything summer - pool days, late summer nights, bonfires, and hanging out with family and friends. This fun treat is a great make-ahead dessert that works well to bring to a cookout or to make when you are having guests over. It can be made a day or two ahead of time and then when you are ready to serve it, you just need to top it with the marshmallows and toast them to perfection!
🍫 Ingredients notes
- Cream cheese - I recommend using regular cream cheese that has been brought to room temperature for this recipe. It mixes together best and provides the best texture for the cheesecake.
- Marshmallows - I like using jumbo marshmallows to top this cheesecake. Alternatively, smaller marshmallows can be used if you don't want as much marshmallow topping.
🥣 Step by step instructions
First, pulse the graham crackers in a food processor until they become crumbs. Add in the melted butter and sugar and pulse until it forms a mixture that resembles wet sand.
Press the mixture into the bottom of a 9" springform pan to form the crust. Bake for about 5-6 minutes until the edges just start to brown.
While the crust is baking, rinse out your food processor. Add all of the ingredients to it for the cheesecake filling and pulse to combine. Make sure you scrape down the sides of the bowl and continue to pulse until everything is mixed together.
Pour the cheesecake filling on top of the pre-baked crust. Return it to the oven to bake for another 40-50 minutes. When the cheesecake is no longer shiny on top and it doesn't jiggle when you shake the pan, it's done.
Let the cheesecake cool at room temperature for about 30 minutes. Then, move it to the refrigerator to chill completely. About 2-3 hours should work or overnight for best results. When you are ready to serve the smores cheesecake, top it with marshmallows.
Toast the tops of the marshmallows under the broiler in the oven or using a kitchen torch.
Remove ring from around your spring form pan and slice and serve the cheesecake!
⭐ Top tip
Make sure to bring your cream cheese to room temperature before making the cheesecake. It will allow it to mix in better with the other ingredients and will help prevent lumps.
Graham Cracker Crust
- 16 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 6 Tablespoons whole milk
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 24 ounces jumbo marshmallows
Graham Cracker Crust
- Preheat oven to 350˚ and grease a 9 inch spring form pan with butter or baking spray.
- Place graham crackers and sugar in a food processor and pulse until crackers have turned into crumbs. Add in melted butter and continue to pulse until the mixture resembles wet sand.
- Press graham cracker mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan to form the crust.
- Prebake the crust in the preheated oven for 5-7 minutes until the edges just start to turn brown.
- While the crust is cooking, rinse out the food processor and combine all of the ingredients for the cheesecake into it. Pulse the ingredients until they are combined. Scrape down the edges of the food processor and pulse a few more times to make sure everything is well incorporated.
- Pour the cheesecake mixture over the prebaked crust and return to the oven to bake an additional 40-45 minutes until the top of the cheesecake is no longer shiny and the mixture does not jiggle when you slightly shake the pan.
- Allow the cheesecake to cool for 30 minutes at room temperature and then place it in the fridge to completely chill, about 2-3 hours or overnight for best results.
- For serving time, top the chilled cheesecake with the jumbo marshmallows and toast the tops of the marshmallows with a kitchen torch or under the oven broiler until the marshmallows are toasted on top.
- Remove the ring from the springform pan and slice and serve.
- Cheesecake bars - Make this cheesecake in an 11" x 7" baking pan and cut it into bars instead. Top the bars with mini marshmallows and toast them with a kitchen torch. I recommend greasing the pan generously and also using parchment paper to help get the bars out of the pan.
💭 Frequently asked questions
A spring form is comprised of two parts, a base and a removable ring that forms the side. When your cheesecake is ready for serving, you simply, release the lever on the ring to easily remove it from around the sides of the cheesecake. This allows you to slice and serve it without the hassle of it sticking to the sides of the pan. If a regular cake pan or baking is used, I highly recommend greasing it generously and using parchment paper to help prevent sticking.
If you don't have a food processor, the graham cracker crust can be made in a blender or you can crush the graham crackers up in a ziptop bag and then mix them with the butter and sugar in a bowl. The filling can also be made in a blender or in a mixing bowl with a hand mixer.
🧁 More dessert recipes
If you loved this recipe for this decadent chocolate smores cheesecake, check out these other dessert recipes!
Don't forget! If you make this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and give it a rating. I love to hear from each and every one of you! Tag me on Facebook and Instagram as well! It makes my day to see all of your photos of the food you have made.