Easy and delicious, this slightly spicy Slow Cooker Jalapeno Pulled Chicken is great for make-ahead meal planning. Use this tasting recipe to make a quick dinner tonight or save in the freezer for later.
Batch Cooking Series: Slow Cooker Jalapeno Pulled Chicken
I am so excited to share with you this next set of recipes. They are a part of my all-new Batch Cooking Series. As a busy mom of four, I look for any way I can to save time and make things a little bit easier on myself, especially when it comes to cooking. In my Batch Cooking Series, I will be sharing with you recipes that you can make in bulk and then save to use in other recipes. This saves both time and money and makes you feel super accomplished in life! In this first round of recipes, I will be sharing my Slow Cooker Jalapeno Pulled Chicken.
This recipe is so easy and is great to put in the slow cooker first thing in the morning so it’s done well before dinner time. Sometimes I will use the entire batch of chicken for meals that same week and sometimes I store it in the freezer for use later. It all depends on what we have going on, but either way, it works!
Ingredients to Make Slow Cooker Jalapeno Pulled Chicken
- Whole Chicken
- Chicken Broth
- Poultry Seasoning
- Salt & Pepper
See? I told you, it’s super simple, but it turns out so tasty and delicious. The chicken is slightly spicy and makes a great base for all sorts of meals. In the upcoming days, I will be sharing with you THREE of my favorite ways to use this Slow Cooker Jalapeno Pulled Chicken.
I like using a whole chicken for this recipe and then breaking it down into smaller pieces myself. It saves money and adds tons of flavor, as opposed to using boneless pieces of meat. If you have never broken down a whole chicken or need a quick refresh, check out these helpful instructions:
Once I have broken down the chicken, I will save the carcass and use it to make stock. If you don’t want to hassle with a whole chicken, you can certainly use a combination of chicken legs, breasts, and wings if you like. In my experience, a 5-6 lb chicken will yield approximately 5-6 cups of shredded chicken and 2-3 cups of chicken broth. It kind of depends on how “meaty” the chicken is, so take that into consideration when selecting what you would like to use.
Slow Cooker Jalapeno Pulled Chicken
- 1 5-6 lb whole chicken
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 1-2 large jalapenos, seeded and diced
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Rinse chicken under water and pat dry. Break down the whole chicken into 6 pieces consisting of (2) breasts, (2) wings and (2) legs. Save carcass to make stock or discard.
- Place chicken broth and sliced onions at the bottom of the slow cooker and add chicken pieces on top. Add in jalapenos and remaining spices over the top of the chicken
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours until chicken is tender and is falling off the bone.
- Remove skin and bones from the chicken and discard. Strain broth from the chicken and save for later use, leaving jalapenos and onions with the chicken.
- Using two forks, pull apart the meat until chicken is completely shredded.
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @SaporitoKitchen on Instagram and hashtag it #SaporitoKitchen
Storage Tips for Pulled Chicken
- This pulled chicken will keep in the refrigerator, in an airtight container for 3-5 days.
- Freeze pulled chicken in a ziptop bag, making sure to get rid of as much air as possible from the bag. This should help the chicken keep for up to 3 months.
- Before storing chicken in an airtight container or ziptop bag, make sure it has cooled completely. I also like to add a little bit of the broth to the chicken to make sure it doesn’t dry out.
Don’t forget to keep an eye out for the upcoming recipes to use this pulled chicken for some tasty meals!