It seems that in the Fall I switch over to cooking in the slow cooker quite a bit. I don’t know if the busy schedules with sports and the kids or if it’s the cold weather, but I love being able to prep dinner in the morning to make it easy to get on the table quickly later on that day. These Slow Cooker Beef Sandwiches with Horseradish Sauce have become a favorite in our house. It’s a quick and simple recipe that makes delicious leftovers the next day.
I think everyone has some sort of recipe for beef sandwiches in the slow cooker. It’s an easy way to prep beef, especially to make for great sandwiches the rest of the week. This particular recipe is adapted from The Pioneer Woman for her Drip Beef Sandwiches. The pepperoncini peppers and their juices make a flavorful braising liquid for the beef. The brine helps break down the beef so it’s nice and tender and gives it a slightly spicy flavor that pairs well with the richness of the roast.
I like to serve these on homemade buns or rolls that are soft so they soak up all of that yummy juice from the beef. You can also serve these with your favorite cheese if you like. I recommend provolone! I think my favorite thing about this recipe, besides the easy clean up, is that I get to use the leftovers to make quesadillas the next day.
Pepperoncinis come in different varieties, so depending on how spicy you like your food, you can pick which one works best for you. They typically come in hot or mild, so whichever you prefer. We usually use the mild in our house, since the kids don’t like anything too spicy. To tone down the heat even more, you can only use half a jar of the peppers. If your going to do this, I just recommend adding a bit more broth to make up for the lost liquid. My husband and I like to top our beef sandwiches with the peppers after they are cooked, but you can certainly discard after cooking. The cool and creamy horseradish sauce is an excellent compliment to these sandwiches.
This is a perfect recipe for a crisp fall day or the cold Winter ahead. It’s hearty and the spice will be certain to warm you up. If you are needing to feed a crowd, this is an excellent choice! It’s as easy to cook for 5 as it is for 50 and the clean up is a cinch. Given you have a large enough slow cooker that is! This recipe would be complimentary to any game day appetizers or perfect for a family gathering during the busy holiday season.
What’s your favorite slow cooker recipe?
If you make this recipe, make sure you share a photo with me, I’d love to see all of your creations! #SaporitoKitchen
Pinterest: Saporito Kitchen
Facebook: Saporito Kitchen
Slow Cooker Beef Sandwiches with Horseradish Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 lb rump or chuck beef roast
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 Tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced thin
- 1 (16 oz Jar) pepperoncini peppers, mild or hot
- 6 each soft rolls or hamburger buns
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- pinch black pepper
- pinch white sugar
- Preheat a medium saute pan over medium high heat. Season roast with salt and pepper.
- Add olive oil to the preheated pan and then sear roast in the pan for 3-5 minutes each side until browned well.
- Remove roast from the pan and add to slow cooker. Add in garlic powder, dried oregano, beef broth, onions and pepperoncini peppers.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours until meat is tender.
- Remove peppers from the slow cooker and reserve for serving. Shred beef with two forks and serve on buns or rolls with peppers and horseradish sauce.
- In a small bowl, combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly with a whisk. Serve on top of beef sandwiches.