It’s Taco Tuesday! Possibly my most favorite day of the week. Our family loves all sorts of tacos and this recipes is no exception. These Slow Cooker Barbacoa Beef Tacos really hit the spot. The slow roasted beef, with all the different spices and flavors, really makes for a fun and tasty taco night.
With the weather getting colder here and our schedules seemingly more busy, the slow cooker seems to be my go to for those busy week night dinners. It’s so nice to be able to put everything in and forget about it while we go about our day with errands, school, work, and activities. This is one of those easy recipes, where you can just put everything in and then come check on it later. Once the meat is done, all you have to do is shred it and bring out your favorite toppings.
I first made these tacos soon after my youngest was born. We had friends coming over to visit and so I threw this in the slow cooker and my friends brought all the toppings. Between all the kids and adults, these were soon devoured! You can switch up the toppings but I generally like to keep it simple. The beef is so flavorful that I like to let it shine mostly on it’s own. My kids LOVE queso fresco so we usually serve it with that and I am in love with the traditional toppings of just diced onions and chopped cilantro. Don’t forget the squeeze of lime though, it makes all the difference in the world!
When I make this for just our family, I usually limit the chipotle peppers to just 1 or 2 for this quantity of meat. The kids like a little spice, but not too much. Feel free to eliminate the peppers all together if you aren’t into anything too spicy, but they do add a nice smoky spice to the recipe. This will feed about 8-10 people with about 3 tacos per person. Feel free to half the recipe with a smaller piece of meat or save the leftovers in the freezer for another quick week night dinner.
What’s your favorite kind of tacos??
Remember, if you make this recipe, make sure you share a photo with me, I’d love to see all of your creations! #SaporitoKitchen
Pinterest: Saporito Kitchen
Facebook: Saporito Kitchen
Slow Cooker Barbacoa Beef Tacos
- 3-4 lb beef roast, rump or chuck will work
- 4 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2-4 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- corn tortillas
- queso fresco
- diced onions
- lime wedges
- fresh cilantro, chopped
- Combine beef roast with all ingredients (except taco accompaniments) in slow cooker and set on high. Cook for 3 hours and then lower heat to low and cook an additional 2 hours.
- Remove bay leaves and with two forks, shred beef. Mix shredded beef together with juices in the slow cooker and cook an additional 30-60 minutes on low.
- Serve with corn tortillas, queso fresco, diced onions, lime wedges and chopped cilantro.