Honey Cornbread is combined with Jalapeno, White Cheddar and Buttermilk, and baked to make the BEST Savory Cornbread Pudding. Slightly spicy and oh so delicious, this comforting dish is the perfect unlikely addition to your holiday menu.
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ⅓ cup honey
- 1 large whole egg
- ½ cup unsalted butter (melted and cooled)
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all purposed flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 15 oz can corn kernels (drained)
- 1 medium jalapeno (seeded and diced)
- ½ medium white onion (diced)
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups shredded white cheddar cheese
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 large whole eggs
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 400° and grease a 9x13" baking dish with butter or baking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine buttermilk, honey, egg and melted butter. Whisk together and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Then whisk to combine.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until the mixture is just combined. Add the corn, then fold into the batter to incorporate.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake in preheated oven for 20-30 minutes until the top is golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the middle.
- Remove cornbread from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes. Place cornbread in the refrigerator to finish cooling.
Savory Cornbread Pudding
- While the cornbread is cooling, grease a large casserole dish or 9x13" baking pan with butter or baking spray and set aside. Reduce oven temperature to 375°.
- Dice the jalapeno and onions and then heat the vegetable oil in a saute pan over medium heat. Saute your jalapeno and onion in the pan with the vegetable oil for 5-7 minutes until softened. Set aside.
- Once the cornbread is cooled to the point that you can handle it by hand, remove it from the pan and crumble it into large pieces in a large bowl.
- Add shredded cheddar cheese, sauteed jalapeno, and sauteed onion to the cornbread and gently stir to combine. Place cornbread mixture in the prepared baking dish and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine buttermilk, heavy cream, eggs, and salt. Whisk to break up the eggs and combine all the ingredients.
- Pour the buttermilk egg mixture over the top of the cornbread mixture and gently press down on the cornbread to make sure it absorbs the liquid and all of the cornbread is moistened.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45-50 minutes until golden brown and no longer jiggly in the middle.
- Let the bread pudding cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Honey Cornbread recipe adapted from Sally's Baking Addiction.
Store bought cornbread can be used in place of homemade version listed.
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 494
Keywords: cheese, cornbread, holidays, jalapeno, vegetarian