Raspberry cannoli cupcakes are a tasty treat! These homemade cupcakes are light and fluffy, filled with raspberry preserves, and topped with homemade cannoli frosting. For a quick overview of this recipe, check out my web story for these homemade cannoli cupcakes with raspberry!
We are HUGE fans of cannoli cake in our house. I thought I would come up with a fun version for cupcakes that's perfect for the upcoming Spring season. These cannoli cupcakes from scratch are filled with raspberry preserves and make a fun weekend baking treat.
🧁 Ingredient notes
- Cupcakes - My favorite go to recipe for cupcakes is from Life, Love and Sugar. I have adapted the recipe slightly to complement the flavors of the cannoli frosting. These cupcakes are light and fluffy, plus, they come out perfectly every time! You can use a boxed mix if you like, but I highly recommend trying this recipe out.
- Raspberry preserves - The filling for these cupcakes is simple. I use my favorite store bought raspberry preserves, however, if you don't like the seeds, you can get seedless jam instead.
- Cannoli Frosting - Cannoli cream is mixed with powdered sugar to make this frosting that is adapted from Snappy Gourmet's Cannoli Frosting. I recommend using whole milk ricotta cheese as opposed to part skim. Part skim ricotta tends to be watery and won't work well for this recipe. For an even thicker frosting, strain your ricotta in cheesecloth over a bowl overnight in the fridge to remove as much excess moisture as possible.
🥣 Step by step instructions
Start by whisking or sifting the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a bowl. This helps remove any lumps in the dry ingredients.
Mix in the eggs and then scrape down the sides of the bowl. Next, alternate adding the dry ingredients and the wet ingredients to thoroughly mix this fluffy batter.
Evenly divide the batter up into 12 greased or lined cupcake tins. I like using baking scoops to do this to make less of a mess and make even sized cupcakes!
Bake for 15-18 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the middle. Let them cool completely. While the cupcakes are cooling, prepare the frosting by mixing all of the ingredients together in a bowl. Store in the refrigerator until you are ready to use it.
Then, when the cupcakes have cooled completely, remove part of the middle of the cupcake to make room for your filling. You can do this using a small spoon or alternatively, I like to use piping tips. They are the perfect size to pop in and pull out the middle of the cupcake.
Next, fill the inside of the cupcake with approximately 1 Tablespoon of the raspberry preserves.
Lastly, top the filled cupcakes with the homemade cannoli frosting and garnish with fresh raspberries and mini chocolate chips!
⭐ Top tip
Make sure you let your cupcakes cool completely before filling and frosting. If not they will fall apart and the frosting won't stay on the cupcakes.Print
- Different fruit - Try different types of preserves in the filling for these cupcakes like strawberry, blueberry, or even cherry!
- Boxed mix - Not up to making cupcakes from scratch? Use a vanilla cupcake boxed to make things a bit simpler and add ¼ teaspoon almond extract to the batter.
🧁 Storage tips
- Plain unfilled and unfrosted cupcakes will keep up to 4 days when stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Filled and frosted cupcakes will keep up to 2 days when stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Cannoli frosting can be made ahead of time and stored up to 2 days in the airtight container in the refrigerator.
💭 Frequently asked questions
To make a thicker cannoli cream for this frosting, strain the ricotta cheese in cheesecloth over a bowl in the refrigerator overnight to remove any excess moisture. The completed frosting can also be stored in the refrigerator to help thicken it up.
Cupcakes need to be refrigerated when they are frosting contains dairy or eggs or if the cupcakes are filled with a custard. Since these cupcakes contain both ricotta and mascarpone cheese, they need to be refrigerated before serving.
🥣 More baking recipes
If you loved this recipe for my Raspberry Cannoli Cupcakes, check out these other baking recipes, that I know you will love too!
Don't forget! If you make this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and give it a rating. I love to hear from each and every one of you! Tag me on Facebook and Instagram as well! It makes my day to see all of your photos of the food you have made.