Pumpkin Roll with Mascarpone is a fun twist on an old family recipe that incorporates the Italian flavors of mascarpone cheese and anise!
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- ⅔ cup pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon anise extract
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup powdered sugar (for rolling up cake)
- 4 oz mascarpone cheese (room temperature)
- 4 oz whipped cream cheese (room temperature)
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350° and line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray well with baking spray.
- In a stand mixer or medium bowl with a hand mixer, beat eggs on high for 5 minutes until fluffy and pale yellow.
- While the mixer is still running, slowly add in the sugar and beat for an additional 2 minutes. Turn off the mixer and using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, fold in the pumpkin puree and anise extract. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Add dry ingredients to the pumpkin batter and gently fold together until all ingredients are incorporated well.
- Pour batter into prepared baking sheet and bake in preheated oven for 10-15 minutes until cake is cooked through and slightly browned around the edges.
- While the cake is baking, lay a large kitchen or tea towel on the counter and sprinkle with ¼ cup powdered sugar.
- When cake is done baking, remove it from the oven and allow to cool for 2 minutes. Carefully run a knife around the edges to make sure it is released from the sides of the pan. Turn the cake out onto the towel sprinkled with powdered sugar and remove the parchment paper. Starting on the short side of the cake, roll it up with the towel like a jelly roll and allow to cool completely.
- While cake is cooling, combine mascarpone cheese, cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar and vanilla in a medium sized bowl. Using a hand mixer or stand mixer, beat on high until ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Once cake has completely cooled, unroll it and spread the cheese filling mixture evenly over the exposed side of the cake.
- Roll the cake back up, without the towel this time, into a tight roll. Wrap the roll tightly in plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for 2 hours.
- When cake is completely chilled and ready to serve, remove plastic wrap and slice.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American, Italian
- Calories: 323
Keywords: cheese, pumpkin, vegetarian