Ah, Grilled cheese…the ultimate comfort food! I don’t know about you, but I associate grilled cheese with childhood and all the memories that brings with it. Served with tomato soup or just on it’s own, it’s probably one of the most nostalgic foods out there. Whole restaurants have been dedicated to this sandwich. It’s that good! The grilled cheese is also extremely versatile and of course, super delicious. I love all the different combinations that you can create with it. This Pepperoni Pizza Grilled Cheese is probably one of our kids favorite types of grilled cheese, but honestly, I love it too.
Trying to stay creative with lunches and dinners that my kids don’t get sick of can be overwhelming, to say the least. Just when I think I have it figured out, they decide they are bored with their favorites or they just don’t like them anymore. I’m always looking for different ways to revive old favorites and bring them to life again. The kids love pizza and they also love grilled cheese, so why not bring the two together! It’s a great way to switch up the classics to keep them interested!
The great part about this little mash up, is that you can customize each person’s sandwich to accommodate their favorites, or should I say, every changing favorites. Pepperoni Pizza Grilled Cheese can be used for an easy lunch, dinner or even a party appetizer. Switch up the toppings and make a variety of different kinds. Then you can cut them up into smaller triangles so everyone can try a little bit of everything. These are great for watching the game or a lazy Sunday afternoon. Slather on that marinara, pile on the cheese and add in your favorite toppings. Trust me, you will love it.
What’s are your favorite pizza toppings?
Don’t forget, if you make one of my recipes, make sure you share a picture of it with me!
You can post and tag me, I’d love to see all of your creations! #SaporitoKitchen
Pinterest: Saporito Kitchen
Facebook: Saporito Kitchen
Pepperoni Pizza Grilled Cheese
- 8 slices white bread
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- 1 1/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup mini pepperoni slices
- Spread 1/2 tablespoon of butter on one side of each of the 8 slices of bread. Spread 1 tablespoon of marinara of the other side of each bread.
- Top each slice of bread on the marinara side with the shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Divide up the mini pepperoni slices and place them on only 4 slices of the bread, on top of the marinara and mozzarella cheese. I suggest slightly pressing down on the toppings on each slice of bread to make sure are stuck in there and don't fall out too easily.
- Take the slice of bread with marinara and cheese only and place it on top of the slice of bread with marinara, cheese and pepperoni. The buttered sides should be facing out, with the marinara, sauce, cheese and mini pepperoni all in the middle.
- Preheat a medium sized pan over medium high heat. When pan is hot, add assembled sandwiches to the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes each side until outsides are browned and cheese is melted.