This simple and delicious pasta with pancetta and peas is the perfect easy weeknight dinner. Thick cut pancetta is cooked till perfectly crispy and mixed with green peas. Tossed with orecchiette pasta and grated parmesan cheese, this delicious dish is a hearty and filling meal. For a quick overview of this recipe, check out my web story for this pancetta pea pasta!
I love quick and easy pasta dishes, especially for busy weeknights. Pasta can be so comforting and it is definitely a crowd pleaser in our house! This dish has the perfect amount of saltiness from the pancetta and parmesan and is balanced so nicely with the creamy peas and pasta. What's not to love?
🍝 Ingredient notes
- Pancetta - Pancetta is pork belly that has been cured with both salt and spices. It packs a powerful flavor punch that is great for a wide variety of dishes. My local grocery store carries it at the deli counter, however, some stores have it pre-packaged. If you are unable to get pancetta, bacon can be used as a substitute.
- Peas - I use frozen peas for this recipe because they just need to be reheated and it makes this dish super easy. Fresh peas can be used, but I recommend steaming them first before using them in this recipe.
- Parmesan - Both grated or shredded parmesan cheese can be used for this recipe. Alternatively, asiago or pecorino romano cheese can be used as well.
- Pasta - I like using orecchiette pasta for this recipe because it's such a fun shape. It's also typically not made with eggs, like other pasta, but with just flour and water. It gives the pasta a heartier texture.
🔪 Step by step instructions
First, heat a large pot of water on the stovetop to cook the pasta. When the water boils, add in salt and pasta and stir to combine. While the pasta is cooking, heat a skillet over medium heat and add in the pancetta and cook 5-6 minutes until browned and lightly crispy.
Add in frozen peas and cook 2-3 minutes more until they are heated through. Remove the pan off of the heat and then set it aside.
The pasta should be done after the pancetta and peas are done cooking. Drain the water from the pasta, reserving ½ cup of the pasta cooking water.
Toss the pasta with the pasta water, pancetta, peas, and parmesan cheese.
Serve with extra parmesan cheese if desired!
⭐ Top tip
Don't forget to reserve some of the pasta water to add to the finished dish. It contains extra starch from the pasta that helps bind the cheese and other ingredients to the pasta to make a sauce.Print
- Vegetarian/Vegan - Omit the pancetta to make this dish vegetarian or use your favorite meat free bacon substitute. Omit the parmesan or use your favorite vegan parmesan cheese substitute to make this dish vegan. Make sure to check the label on the pasta to ensure it doesn't include eggs if you are looking to make this vegan.
- Gluten Free - Use your favorite gluten free pasta to make this dish gluten free.
- More Veggies - Add chopped roasted asparagus, roasted red peppers or even roasted zucchini for even more vegetables.
- Other Meat - Not a fan of pancetta? Try either cooked italian sausage or even grilled chicken.
🍝 More easy pasta recipes
Lastly, if you loved this recipe for pasta, pancetta, and peas, check out these other recipes that I know you will love too!
Don't forget! If you make this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and give it a rating. I love to hear from each and every one of you! Tag me on Facebook and Instagram as well! It makes my day to see all of your photos of the food you have made.