Just in time for the long weekend, I’m sharing with you one of my favorite side dishes, artichokes. Parmesan Roasted Artichokes to be exact! These jumbo artichokes are stuffed full of herbs and parmesan cheese, then roasted till they are perfectly tender and delicious.
To prepare an artichoke for cooking, there will be some trimming that you will need to do. I like to trim off the first layer of outer leaves because they can be tough. Then, cut the tips off any outer leaves that may be sharp. Once the outside is trimmed up, trim up the ends of the stems and cut the artichoke in half. After they are cut in half, remove the choke from the inside. This is the hairy or fuzzy part that lies right by the heart of the artichoke. Once you have finished trimming and prepping the artichoke, you are ready to stuff and season. I do recommend rubbing them with a little lemon juice so they don’t turn brown.
Artichokes are fairly easy to make and a great, unique side dish for a BBQ or Summer party. They can be stuffed and seasoned in all sorts of ways. I love the versatility of artichokes as well. They can be used as a starter or appetizer, a fun to eat side dish or even a meatless main dish. Even my kids love to eat them, I think because they are fun to eat! My daughter Samantha fell in love with artichokes when she was about 2 years old. She would climb up on the counter and pick the leaves off one by one and finish an entire artichoke all by herself.
Parmesan Roasted Artichokes
- 2 large artichokes, cleaned, trimmed and halved
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 Tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper, foil or silicone liner.
- In a small bowl, combine oil, lemon juice, cheese, oregano, salt and pepper and stir to combine. The mixture will resemble a paste.
- Place artichoke halves (chokes removed) on the baking sheet with cut side up and evenly distribute the parmesan cheese mixture onto the halves. Make sure you thoroughly cover the artichokes and even try and get some of the mixtures in between the leaves.
- Roast artichokes in the oven for 10 minutes to brown. Cover artichokes loosely with a piece of foil and continue to roast for 30-40 minutes until tender.
If you make any of my recipes, remember to snap a pic, tag it with #SaporitoKitchen and share it on social media.
I love seeing all of your creations!
Facebook: Saporito Kitchen
Pinterest: Saporito Kitchen
Pin This Recipe Now!