These quick and easy Nutella pancakes are great to make at home for a fun weekend breakfast or special holiday brunch. The batter is mixed with Nutella right inside of it for delicious pancakes flavored with a hint of chocolate and hazelnut.
This post was originally published in June 2021 and has been updated for content.
We love having breakfast at house whether it's in the morning or for dinner. This Nutella pancake recipe is a twist on our favorite buttermilk pancakes that make in appearance in our house at least once week. Both kids and adults go wild for these pancakes, so make sure to make a double batch!
🍫 Ingredient notes
- Nutella - Nutella is a chocolate hazelnut spread that is slightly sweet and super delicious! It's mixed right into the batter to provide a hint of sweetness and flavor without it being too overpowering!
- Pancake Mix - These Nutella pancakes include instructions for homemade batter, however you can also use this method to make them with pancake mix. Adding the Nutella does make the batter a little bit thicker, so additional liquid may need to be added to thin it out.
- Mini Pancakes - Use only ⅛ cup of the pancake per batter to make mini Nutella pancakes.
- Dippers - Pour the batter into 3-4 inch strips that are about 1-inch thick for a fun pancake shape to dip into syrup!
- Toppings - For alternative toppings to hazelnuts and maple syrup, see the list of other topping ideas below.
🥣 Step by step instructions
First, whisk together the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl. Mix the melted butter with the Nutella and then mix in the egg and milk. Add the Nutella mixture to the dry ingredients and mix till smooth.
Pour about ¼ cup of the batter per pancake on a preheated and greased electric griddle or griddle pan. Cook for about 45-60 seconds on the first side until they start to brown and bubbles form on the top. and Flip them over to cook for an additional 30 seconds until golden browned.
Top the finished Nutella pancakes with chopped hazelnuts and maple syrup!
🍓 Additional topping ideas
- Sliced Bananas
- Strawberries, Raspberries or Blueberries
- Chopped pecans or sliced almonds
- Coconut flakes
- Chocolate chips
- Caramel sauce
- Buttermilk syrup
- Peanut butter
- Biscoff spread
- Whipped cream
⭐ Expert tips
- Cook pancakes no higher than medium low heat. If the heat is too high, the outside of the pancake will cook too fast and the middle will still be raw.
- If you like thinner pancakes, add additional milk to thin out the batter.
⏲️ Make ahead and storage instructions
I don't recommend making the batter ahead of time. As soon as you mix together the batter, the pancakes should be cooked.
These Nutella pancakes can be cooked ahead of time and frozen for use later. Allow them to cool completely and then place them on a sheet pan to freeze in a single layer. Transfer frozen pancakes to a zip top bag or airtight container and then keep them in the freezer for up to 2 months.
🥞 More sweet breakfast recipes
If you loved this recipe for nutella pancakes, here are more sweet breakfast recipes that I know you will love too!
Don't forget! If you make this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and give it a rating. I love to hear from each and every one of you! Tag me on Facebook and Instagram as well! It makes my day to see all of your photos of the food you have made.Print