This tasty Melon Prosciutto Salad is a delicious, fresh salad that is perfect for summer. Sweet honeydew and cantaloupe are layered with fresh mozzarella cheese. Studded with thinly sliced prosciutto and fresh basil leaves, this refreshing salad is dressed with a lemon vinaigrette.
This post was originally published in September 2020 and has been updated for content.
This recipe is a twist on the classic caprese salad that is said to originate from the island of capri. Traditional caprese salad contains fresh mozzarella, tomatoes and basil and is sometimes dressed with a vinaigrette. This version replaces the tomatoes with melon to provide a sweeter version of this classic italian salad. This salad is perfect to serve along side italian salmon, grilled steaks or even pizza on the grill.
🍈 Ingredient notes
- Melon - Honeydew and cantaloupe melons are used for this salad. Alternatively, crenshaw, santa claus or winter melons would also be good.
- Mozzarella - I like using a large log or ball of fresh mozzarella cheese for this recipe, because it is easily sliced and layered with the melon.
- Prosciutto - Prosciutto is an italian dry-cured ham that has a light, buttery and salty taste to it. It adds a nice contrast in flavor to the melon and cheese.
📋 Substitutions and variations
- Non-Layered Salad - To make this salad scoopable instead of layered, a melon baller can be used for the cantaloupe and honeydew. Use mozzarella pearls or ciliegine balls instead of slices and dice the prosciutto into smaller pieces.
- Dairy Free - To make this salad dairy free, omit the mozzarella cheese.
- Vegetarian/Vegan - To make this salad vegetarian, omit the prosciutto; to make it vegan, omit the cheese and prosciutto.
🔪 Step by step instructions
First, remove the peels and seeds from the melons and slice them and the mozzarella in half inch slices. Layer the melon and mozzarella on a serving platter.
Next, bunch up the slices of prosciutto and evenly distribute them in and around the slices of melon and cheese. Repeat with the fresh basil leaves.
In a mason jar, combine lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper and then shake to combine. Pour over the salad and then serve it immediately.
⭐ Expert tips
- Slice the melon and cheese in similar sized pieces to allow for easy layering.
- Don't dress the salad until you are ready to serve it. The acid in the vinaigrette will start to break down the cheese and melon, so it's best to do right before serving.
⏲️ Make ahead instructions
If you need to make this salad ahead of time, I recommend keeping the dressing separate. Layer the salad as instructed and then cover it in plastic wrap undressed and store in the refrigerator until serving time. Make the dressing ahead of time and store in the fridge. When it's time to serve, give the dressing a good shake again and then pour it over the salad.
🥗 More salad recipes
If you loved this recipe for melon prosciutto salad, check out these other salad recipes that I know you will love too!
For a quick overview of this recipe, check out my web story for this melon and prosciutto caprese!
Don't forget! If you make this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and give it a rating. I love to hear from each and every one of you! Tag me on Facebook and Instagram as well! It makes my day to see all of your photos of the food you have made.Print