Comfort food is the name of the game these days and this is probably one of my family’s favorite comfort foods. Meatloaf makes for such a warm and filling meal when it’s chilly outside, and the kids love it too! This is my Italian Style Meatloaf with Marinara that puts a nostalgic twist on a classic favorite.
There is nothing better than a hot meal on a cold Winter day. My kids love this version of my meatloaf, no matter what the weather is. It’s especially comforting during this time of year. Served up with fluffy mashed potatoes and your favorite vegetable, how could you go wrong? One of the best things about meatloaf is the leftovers. You can slice it up and make it into sandwiches the next day. It’s the best! I love topping this with my Old School Italian Gravy, but a good store bough marinara will work too.
I prefer to make meatloaf with a combination of both ground beef and ground pork. The flavors are amazing with the two different types of meat, but you can use just beef as well. Some grocery stores sell pre-packaged “Meatloaf Mix” that has a combination of ground meats. That will work for this too! Now, I have tried this recipe with both bread crumbs and a slice of bread soaked in milk. In my personal opinion, I really like the texture of the meatloaf when you use a slice of bread soaked in milk as opposed to bread crumbs. Lastly, when you are mixing the meatloaf take care not to over mix. You will want to make sure that the ingredients are incorporated throughout, but you still want it to be light and fluffy.
What’s your favorite comfort food?
Don’t forget, if you make one of my recipes, make sure you share a picture of it with me!
You can post and tag me, I’d love to see all of your creations! #SaporitoKitchen
Pinterest: Saporito Kitchen
Facebook: Saporito Kitchen
Italian Style Meatloaf with Marinara
- 1 slice white bread
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 large whole egg
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.
- Place the slice of bread in a small bowl and pour the milk over the top of it. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Add in milk soaked bread and mix together with hands until ingredients are incorporated.
- Turn mixture out onto prepared baking sheet and shape into loaf form.
- Bake meatloaf at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
- Take meatloaf out of the oven and top with marinara. Bake for another 10 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 155 degrees.
- Remove meatloaf from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes before serving.