Homemade Honey Wheat Bread is soft, slightly sweet and so much better than store-bought bread! Best served warm out of the oven with jam, butter or honey!
- Grease the inside of 2 - 9" loaf pans or line each with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl or bowl of a stand mixer, combine water, yeast, and honey. Let it stand for about 5 minutes until the mixture starts to become foamy.
- Add salt, wheat flour and 5 cups of the white flour and mix slowly to combine everything together. Continue to add more white flour while mixing until the dough starts to pull away from the sides of the bowl and forms a ball.
- Continue to knead in the stand mixer, or turn out onto a floured surface and knead by hand. Knead for about 5-10 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Grease the inside of a large bowl and add the dough to the bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let it sit in a warm spot on the counter till doubled in size, approximately 1 hour.
- Remove plastic wrap and punch down the dough to knock out the air and redistribute ingredients.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and divide into two pieces. Shape each piece into a rectangle that is approximately 9" x 12". Starting on the shorter side, roll up each rectangle to create a 9" loaf.
- Place loaves in prepared loaf pans and cover with a towel. Place in a warm spot on the counter and let rise till doubled in size, approximately 1 hour.
- While bread is rising, preheat oven to 350°. When bread is done rising and oven is preheated, bake loaves for 40 minutes. Bread is done when it makes a hollow thump when tapped on and is golden brown.
- After removing bread from the oven, you can rub the top of the loaves with butter to make a softer crust. Let cool in the pans for 10 minutes and then turn out onto a wire cooling rack to continue to cool.
Recipe Yields - (2) 9" Loaves of Bread
- Category: Breakfast, Snack
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 184
Keywords: bread, honey, vegetarian, wheat