This creamy and flavorful homemade alfredo is made from scratch and is perfect with fettuccine, angel hair, or any type of pasta!
- ½ stick unsalted butter
- 1 Tablespoon chopped garlic
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1 pint half and half
- ½ cup grated or shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1-2 cups pasta cooking water or milk
- In a large saute pan, melt butter over medium-high heat until it stops foaming. Stir in chopped garlic, allowing to cook for about 30-60 seconds, until the garlic becomes fragrant.
- Sprinkle in the flour and whisk to combine. Allow the mixture to cook for 1-2 minutes while stirring occasionally so it doesn't burn.
- Pour in half and half and whisk to combine. Lower heat to medium and cook while whisking until sauce thickens.
- Remove pan from the heat and whisk in parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- If serving this with pasta, reserve 1-2 cups of the pasta cooking water to whisk into the sauce at the end to achieve the desired consistency. Milk can also be used as a substitute for this step.
- Category: Sauces
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American, Italian
Keywords: cheese, comfort food, italian, pasta, sunday dinner