These juicy hatch green chile grilled turkey burgers are easy to make and have delicious flavor. Made with roasted hatch chiles and topped with fresh pineapple salsa, these ground turkey burgers are perfect for summertime!
This post was originally published in August 2017 and has been updated for content.
We love grilling during the summer, especially these tasty turkey burgers. The earthy flavor of the ground turkey pairs so well with the smoky roasted hatch chiles. The fresh pineapple salsa is both tart and spicy and adds a great freshness to these burgers.
🍔 Ingredient notes
- Ground Turkey - I prefer to use ground turkey for these burgers. It has more flavor and also lends itself to a more moist burger. Ground turkey breast can certainly be used, but the burgers may be a bit more dry and have a tendency to crumble.
- Hatch Chiles - Hatch chiles are a type of green chile grown in New Mexico that has a crisp, sweet and smoky flavor. Typically they are in season in August and can sometimes be found freshly roasted in the grocery store. If not, you can roast hatch chiles in the oven or purchase canned hatch chiles.
- Pineapple Salsa - I love serving these burgers using fresh pineapple for the salsa, however if that is not an option, canned pineapple tidbits may also be used.
📋 Substitutions and variations
- Toppings - Instead of the pineapple salsa, these turkey burgers can be topped with your favorite bbq sauce, grilled onions, grilled pineapple rings or pickled jalapenos!
- Gluten Free - These turkey burgers themselves are naturally gluten free. You can serve them wrapped in lettuce or on your favorite gluten free hamburger bun.
🔪 Step by step instructions
First, combine all of the ingredients for the fresh pineapple salsa in a mixing bowl and toss to combine. Store in the refrigerator while you prepare your turkey burgers.
Next, combine all of the ingredients for the turkey burgers in a mixing bowl and using your hands, mix everything lightly together. Divide the meat mixture into 6 equal pieces and roll into balls.
Press the meat down into patties that are approximately 1-inch in thickness and press the middles down slightly. Place the burgers in the fridge to chill while you preheat the grill.
Cook the burgers on a greased grill for about 8 minutes on the first side and 4 minutes on the second side. Burgers should be cooked through until the internal temperature reaches 165˚ when checked with a kitchen thermometer.
Allow the burgers to rest for 5 minutes after grilling and then serve on buns with the fresh pineapple salsa.
⭐ Expert tips
- Whether you are using canned or freshly roasted chiles, make sure to drain or squeeze out as much of the liquid from them as possible so there isn't too much liquid in the burger mixture.
- Pour a bit of vegetable oil on a paper towel and rub it on the preheated grill before adding the turkey burgers to help prevent sticking.
- If the burgers are not easily releasing from the grill, give them a minute or two more before flipping them.
- Make the fresh pineapple salsa a day or two before if you can to really let the flavors combine together!
Frequently asked questions
Hatch green chiles come in different varieties from mild to as spicy or spicier than a jalapeño. It's been to chose the variety that is best for you and your taste preferences.
🥘 Alternative cooking methods
⏲️ Make ahead and storage instructions
The pineapple salsa can be made up to 2 days ahead of time stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
The turkey burger mix can be made up to 1 day ahead of time and stored on a plate covered in plastic wrap or in an air tight container. Cooking times may be a minute or two more since they are cold.
Uncooked turkey burgers can be frozen and kept in the freezer for up to 3 months. Freeze the turkey burgers on a plate or sheet pan in a single layer and then transfer into a zip top bag or air tight container for easier storage. Frozen turkey burgers can be cooked right on the grill but will take a few more minutes to cook.
Cooked turkey burgers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days and in the freezer for up to 3 months. Burgers can be heated back up on the grill, oven or in the microwave.
♨️ More grilling recipes
If you loved this recipe for grilled turkey burgers, check out these other grilling recipes that I know you will love too!
Don't forget! If you make this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and give it a rating. I love to hear from each and every one of you! Tag me on Facebook and Instagram as well! It makes my day to see all of your photos of the food you have made.Print