Hatch Chile Turkey Burgers are grilled to perfection and topped with fresh and Tangy Pineapple Salsa. Perfect for grilling in the Summertime!
Did you know it’s Hatch chile season right now? Hatch chiles are a type of green chile that is grown in New Mexico, specifically Hatch Valley, hence the name. The soil and growing conditions in that area lend itself to the crisp, sweet, smoky and sometimes spicy flavor. Even more popular than Hatch chile season is Hatch chile roasting season. Roasting the chile intensifies their naturally smoky and earthy flavor. If you have never had the pleasure of eating freshly roasted Hatch chiles, you are definitely missing out! However, these Hatch Chile Turkey Burgers are the perfect way to try their delicious smokey flavor.
Hatch Chile Turkey Burgers
Coming up with recipes using ingredients that are in season is something that is important to me. The hatch chiles are in all of their glory right now, so no better time than the present! I love using fresh ingredients when they are in season because you get the peak of all their best flavors in the dish. Roasting the chiles at home is very simple, however, while out and about recently, I snagged some freshly roasted chiles that are perfect for these burgers.
Toppings for Hatch Chile Turkey Burgers
The crisp, smoky flavor of the chiles really pairs well will the earthiness of the turkey. The flavors of these Hatch Chile Turkey Burgers really compliment each other and putting them on the grill brings those flavors right to peak perfection! I highly recommend serving the Fresh Pineapple Salsa, along with these burgers. The sweet, tart & spicy flavors of the salsa, cut right through the richness of the burger, making them the ultimate duo.
Turkey Burgers on the Grill
Luckily, this recipe comes just in time for the upcoming Labor Day weekend. If you are looking for something different and unique, make sure to put these on the menu. Serve them on your favorite buns, topped with the fresh salsa and they will be sure to not disappoint. So, light up the grill, and get to cooking!
Hatch Chile Turkey Burgers with Fresh Pineapple Salsa
- 1 ½ pounds ground turkey
- 6 medium roasted hatch chiles, peeled, seeded & diced
- ⅓ medium yellow onion, grated
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoons ground black pepper
- 6 each hamburger buns
Fresh Pineapple Salsa
- 3 cups fresh pineapple, diced (approximately 1 medium pineapple)
- ½ medium bell pepper, diced
- ½ medium red onion, diced
- 1 medium jalapeno, minced
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat grill to medium high heat.
- In a medium sized bowl combine turkey, chiles, onion, cumin, thyme, salt & pepper. Mix by hand until ingredients are well incorporated.
- Divide meat mixture in 6 equal portions and roll into balls. Flatten balls into approximately 1 inch thick patties.
- Grill burgers over medium-high heat for about 8 minutes on the first side. The burgers will release from the grill when they are properly cooked. If they are still sticking, wait a couple more minutes until they come up easily with a spatula.
- Flip burgers and cook for an additional 4 minutes or until the burgers reach an internal temperature of 165°.
- Serve on hamburgers buns topped with the fresh pineapple salsa.
Fresh Pineapple Salsa
- In a medium sized bowl, combine pineapple, bell pepper, onion, jalapeno, cilantro, lime juice and salt together. Mix together until all ingredients are combined well.
- If you can, let the salsa sit 2-8 hours in the refrigerator to give all of the flavor a chance to merry together.
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @SaporitoKitchen on Instagram and hashtag it #SaporitoKitchen