This simple recipe for grilled peaches is the best summer dessert or side dish. Fresh, juicy peaches are grilled until slightly caramelized and then topped with whipped mascarpone infused with honey and vanilla. The chopped pistachios on top are an extra special finishing touch to this easy and tasty dish.
This post was originally published in August 2017 and has been updated for content.
Grilled fruit is a sweet treat that our family loves during the summer. This recipe is inspired by my husband's grandmother. She would serve grilled peaches or plums topped with sweetened ricotta for dessert when we would come over for dinner. It's so simple, but perfect on a hot day. These grilled peaches can also be served as an appetizer with pizza on the grill, alongside grilled chicken as a side dish, or even for brunch with a quiche.
🍑 Ingredient notes
- Peaches - When choosing peaches to grill, it's important you choose ones that are just barely ripe. If they are overly ripe, they will be mushy and fall apart when you grill them.
- Mascarpone - Mascarpone cheese is a soft, creamy italian cheese that is similar to cream cheese. It has a more mild, buttery flavor that pairs perfectly with the peaches, especially when sweetened with honey and vanilla.
- Pistachios - I love adding chopped pistachios on top of the grilled peaches because it adds a nice crunch and a little bit of saltiness to the dish. Sliced almonds, chopped pecans or even granola would be great alternative toppings.
📋 Substitutions and Variations
- Mascarpone - Ricotta cheese, greek yogurt or even vanilla ice cream would be excellent substitutes for the mascarpone cheese.
- Stone fruit - Nectarines, apricots or plums can be used as alternatives or in combination with the peaches.
- Salad - Serve these grilled peaches over spring greens or arugula for a light summer meal.
🔪 Step by step instructions
First, combine the mascarpone cheese with honey, vanilla and a pinch of salt in a bowl and whisk together until creamy. Place the sweetened mascarpone cheese in the fridge while you grill the peaches.
Halve the peaches and brush the insides of them lightly with olive oil and sprinkle them with kosher salt.
Grill the peaches flesh side down on a preheated grill over medium high heat, which is approximately 375˚. They should take about 8-10 minutes to cook and should be lightly browned and caramelized.
Place the grilled peaches on a serving tray or individual serving plates. Top with the sweetened mascarpone and then sprinkle with the chopped pistachios.
⭐ Expert tips
- When grilling the peaches, if you start to see little sugary bubbles around the edges, they should be close to being done. Give them another minute or two and then remove them from the grill.
- Easily halve the peaches by carefully running a sharp knife around them going all the way to the pit, then twist them apart. Remove the pit by pulling it out with your fingers or a spoon. If it's hard to remove, try running a sharp knife around the outside of the pit to help loosen it.
💭 Frequently asked questions
There is no need to peel peaches before grilling them, as the skin is edible. If you don't like the texture or don't prefer the peels, they can be removed prior to or after grilling.
Grilling the peaches, not only softens the fruit, but also caramelizes it. It also intensifies the flavor and makes them taste super sweet while giving them a slightly smoky flavor.
🥘 Alternative cooking methods
- Indoors - If the weather is bad or grilling outside isn't an option, you can make these peaches by using either a cast iron skillet or a grill pan. Heat the skillet or pan over medium high heat and follow the same instructions that are listed for grilling. Keep an eye out for bubbles starting to form around the edges. This will indicate the fruit is caramelizing and almost done.
🍽 Serving and storage suggestions
These grilled peaches are best served hot off the grill. The warm peaches will slightly melt the whipped mascarpone, making an irresistible dessert. These peaches can also be served room temperature or chilled if you like.
Leftover peaches will keep in the refrigerator for 1-2 days stored in an airtight container. They can be reheated in an oven or microwave if desired.
🍪 More dessert recipes
If you loved this recipe for fresh grilled peaches, check out these other tasty desserts that I know you will love too!
Don't forget! If you make this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and give it a rating. I love to hear from each and every one of you! Tag me on Facebook and Instagram as well! It makes my day to see all of your photos of the food you have made.Print