This easy grilled italian zucchini is a fresh and delicious vegetarian side dish. Seasoned with italian flavors and cooked perfectly on the grill, this dish takes just 20 minutes to complete!
This post was originally published in September 2020 and has been updated for content.
Every year we plant zucchini in our garden and every year we have a TON of it. This zucchini side dish recipe is simple, but allows the flavor of the zucchini to come through. It's both light and refreshing and goes well with grilled steaks or pizza and is a must have for Summer!
🥒 Ingredient notes
- Zucchini - Zucchini comes from the squash family and is typically green in color. Its tender and has a mild flavor that lends itself well to grilling. Look for zucchinis that have a firm texture and are free from nicks and cuts.
Substitutions and variations
- Yellow Squash - This recipe can be used to season and grill yellow squash instead of the zucchini or can be used with a combination of both!
- Spicy - Sprinkle ¼ teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes onto the zucchini with the other seasoning for an extra zesty kick.
- Cheese - Sprinkle freshly grated parmesan cheese over the grilled zucchini after the lemon juice.
🔪 Step by step instructions
First, slice the zucchini in half lengthwise and brush the halves with olive oil. Sprinkle the zucchini with the italian seasoning, lemon pepper and salt.
Grill the zucchini halves on a preheated grill with the cover closed for 6-8 minutes on each side until they are lightly browned and tender.
Squeeze freshly grilled zucchini with lemon juice and serve!
⭐ Expert tips
- Make sure to preheat your grill to ensure proper browning and grill marks on the zucchini without making it mushy.
- Serve this italian zucchini right off the grill so it is fresh and not soggy.
🥘 Alternative cooking methods
Grill Pan - If the weather doesn't allow for grilling outside, this zucchini can be made inside on a grill pan on the stovetop. Cooking times will be similar to using an outdoor grill. Look for each side to be lightly browned and tender.
Roasted - These seasoned zucchini halves can also be roasted in the oven at 375˚ for approximately 15-20 minutes. Zucchini should be tender and lightly browned on top.
🥡 Storage instructions
Grilled zucchini will keep in the refrigerator for 2-3 days when stored in an airtight container. It can be reheated in the oven or in the microwave.
🥗 More side dish recipes
If you loved this recipe for grilled italian zucchini, check out these other side dish recipes that I know you will love too!
Don't forget! If you make this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and give it a rating. I love to hear from each and every one of you! Tag me on Facebook and Instagram as well! It makes my day to see all of your photos of the food you have made.Print