Gluten Free Loaded Potato Soup is topped with crispy bacon, cheddar cheese, sour cream and green onions. This potato soup is easy to make and gluten free!
- 4 large russet potatoes (approximately 3 ½-4 pounds)
- ½ pound bacon
- ½ medium onion
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 ½ cup sour cream (divided)
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese (divided)
- 2 green onions (Sliced thinly)
- Peel and chop potatoes and set aside. Dice the onions and bacon and set aside.
- In a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat, add bacon and render until crispy, approximately 10 minutes. Strain bacon pieces out of the pan and put on a paper towel to cool.
- Add diced onions into the bacon grease and saute for approximately 2 minutes until softened. Add in potatoes and broth and stir to combine.
- Bring broth and potatoes to a boil over medium high heat and then reduce heat to medium and let cook on a low boil for 15-20 minutes until potatoes are cooked and soft.
- Blend the potatoes and broth using an immersion blender until creamy. A regular blender can be used to do this, but make sure to work in small batches and be very careful as the mixture is extremely hot!
- Once the soup is well blended, whisk in 1 cup of the cheese and 1 cup of the sour cream until thoroughly combined.
- Serve soup with the crispy bacon, sliced green onions and remaining sour cream and cheese.
Recipe Yields 8-9 cups or approximately 8 servings.
- Category: Main Course, Soup
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 549
Keywords: gluten free, potatoes