The weather can't seem to make up its mind here in Utah. One day it's sunny and the next day we get 6" of snow! In the meantime, I'm still taking advantage of the cold weather meals and this Gluten Free Loaded Potato Soup is one of our favorites. Load this soup with crispy bacon, sharp cheddar cheese, creamy sour cream, and sliced green onions. This soup is easy to make and it's also gluten free!
How to Make Gluten Free Potato Soup
This loaded potato soup is a one pot soup, which makes for easy clean up. I'll walk you through how to make this and list some of the tools that make this recipe even easier!
- First, you will prep your ingredients by peeling and chopping your potatoes and dicing your onions and bacon.
- Next, you will cook your bacon in your pot until it's crispy. I like to use a heavy dutch oven, such as THIS.
- Once the bacon is crispy, you will remove it and set it aside and then saute your onions in the bacon grease.
- Then you will add in your potatoes and broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and let simmer till the potatoes are cooked thoroughly.
- After the potatoes are cooked, you will then need to blend the soup. For the least mess, I like to use this immersion blender to thoroughly blend the soup until ultra creamy. You can also use a blender, you just have to work in small batches and be VERY careful not to burn yourself!
- Then you will whisk in some of the cheese and sour cream and serve with your toppings!
What Toppings for Potato Soup?
You can serve your potato soup with any sort of toppings you like. I usually put out a variety of things on the table so people can add what they like. Here are our standard toppings that we like:
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Sour Cream
- Sliced Green Onions (Scallions)
- Crispy Bacon
I hope you enjoyed my version of this delicious Gluten Free Loaded Potato Soup that comes with all of the good toppings! If you are looking for more hearty meals to warm you up, here are a few more of my favorites: