Gluten Free Loaded Potato Soup
The weather can’t seem to make up its mind here in Utah. One day it’s sunny and the next day we get 6″ of snow! In the meantime, I’m still taking advantage of the cold weather meals and this Gluten Free Loaded Potato Soup is one of our favorites. Load this soup with crispy bacon, sharp cheddar cheese, creamy sour cream, and sliced green onions. This soup is easy to make and it’s also gluten free!
How to Make Gluten Free Potato Soup
This loaded potato soup is a one pot soup, which makes for easy clean up. I’ll walk you through how to make this and list some of the tools that make this recipe even easier!
- First, you will prep your ingredients by peeling and chopping your potatoes and dicing your onions and bacon.
- Next, you will cook your bacon in your pot until it’s crispy. I like to use a heavy dutch oven, such as THIS.
- Once the bacon is crispy, you will remove it and set it aside and then saute your onions in the bacon grease.
- Then you will add in your potatoes and broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and let simmer till the potatoes are cooked thoroughly.
- After the potatoes are cooked, you will then need to blend the soup. For the least mess, I like to use this immersion blender to thoroughly blend the soup until ultra creamy. You can also use a blender, you just have to work in small batches and be VERY careful not to burn yourself!
- Then you will whisk in some of the cheese and sour cream and serve with your toppings!
What Toppings for Potato Soup?
You can serve your potato soup with any sort of toppings you like. I usually put out a variety of things on the table so people can add what they like. Here are our standard toppings that we like:
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Sour Cream
- Sliced Green Onions (Scallions)
- Crispy Bacon
Gluten Free Loaded Potato Soup
- 4 large russet potatoes, approximately 3 ½-4 pounds
- ½ pound bacon
- ½ medium onion
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 ½ cup sour cream, divided
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 green onions, Sliced thinly
- Peel and chop potatoes and set aside. Dice the onions and bacon and set aside.
- In a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat, add bacon and render until crispy, approximately 10 minutes. Strain bacon pieces out of the pan and put on a paper towel to cool.
- Add diced onions into the bacon grease and saute for approximately 2 minutes until softened. Add in potatoes and broth and stir to combine.
- Bring broth and potatoes to a boil over medium high heat and then reduce heat to medium and let cook on a low boil for 15-20 minutes until potatoes are cooked and soft.
- Blend the potatoes and broth using an immersion blender until creamy. A regular blender can be used to do this, but make sure to work in small batches and be very careful as the mixture is extremely hot!
- Once the soup is well blended, whisk in 1 cup of the cheese and 1 cup of the sour cream until thoroughly combined.
- Serve soup with the crispy bacon, sliced green onions and remaining sour cream and cheese.
I hope you enjoyed my version of this delicious Gluten Free Loaded Potato Soup that comes with all of the good toppings! If you are looking for more hearty meals to warm you up, here are a few more of my favorites: