These perfectly fried goat cheese balls are the best shareable appetizer. Crispy on the outside and creamy on the inside this goat cheese appetizer is served with an arrabiata sauce for dipping!
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 14 oz canned diced tomatoes
- pinch kosher salt
Fried Goat Cheese Ball
- 16 oz goat cheese log
- 2 large eggs
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 1 cup italian seasoned bread crumbs
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Combine olive oil, garlic, and red pepper flakes in a pan and heat over medium heat on the stovetop. Cook while stirring frequently for 2 minutes, or until the garlic just starts to brown.
- Add in canned tomatoes and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring and mashing the tomatoes occasionally, until the sauce is cooked down and reduced by half. Season with salt and allow to cool completely.
Fried Goat Cheese Fritters
- Take approximately 1 teaspoon of the goat cheese and roll it into a bite sized ball. Repeat with the remaining goat cheese until you have approximately 60 balls.
- In a small bowl or shallow dish, scramble together eggs and water. In another small bowl or shallow dish, add the italian breadcrumbs.
- Take one of the goat cheese balls and dip it into the egg mixture and then the bread crumb mixture, allowing the excess egg mixture to drip off before coating it in the breadcrumbs. Repeat the process again so that the ball has been breaded twice. Repeat with the remaining balls.
- Place breaded goat cheese on a sheet pan and place the freezer for 5-10 minutes while you heat your oil.
- Add enough vegetable oil to a deep sided skillet or pot so there are approximately 1-2 inches of oil in it. Heat oil over medium high heat to 350°.
- Remove goat cheese balls from the freezer and working in batches, add goat cheese balls to the hot oil. Fry for approximately 30-60 seconds until just lightly browned and crispy. Use a spoon to move them around during this time to make sure they brown evenly.
- Remove the balls immediately from the oil and place them on paper towels to cool and drain. Repeat with the remaining balls. Serve at room temperature with arrabbiata dip.
- Category: Appetizer, Side Dish, Snack
- Method: Stove Top, Frying
- Cuisine: Italian, Spanish
Keywords: goat cheese, appetizers, tapas, vegetarian, arrabiata