I wanted to share this next recipe for my Easy Celery Salad with Parmesan before Summer comes to a close. I know, it’s TECHNICALLY over because we are past Labor Day, but it’s still hot here, in Utah, so I’m going to keep on going! I’m sure you are thinking, celery salad, really? I get it, I was skeptical too. It’s super unique, but I guarantee you, it’s delicious! It’s crunchy, refreshing and a breeze to make. It pairs well with grilled meats or even a heavier main dish because it’s so light and refreshing.
How to Make Celery Salad
I first heard of celery salad when I saw Ina Garten make one on her show, The Barefoot Contessa. This recipe is inspired by her Celery and Parmesan Salad. While there are a few different versions out there, celery salad usually consists of raw celery that is mixed with a few accompanying ingredients and then dressed with a vinaigrette type dressing. The celery is crunchy and refreshing, the Parmesan cheese adds a bit of saltiness and then the lemon vinaigrette brightens up the entire salad. I have seen some people add nuts or dates to their celery salads, but I like the simplicity of just the celery and Parmesan.
You can make this salad in just two simple steps and it only takes about 10 minutes. Here’s how it’s done:
- Slice an entire bunch of celery, leaves and all, discarding only the bottom. Place on a serving dish or platter and toss with Parmesan cheese pieces. I like to use big chunks or shavings of Parmesan cheese so it really stands out!
- In a small mason jar with a lid, combine lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper and thyme leaves. Shake vigorously till all ingredients are combine and pour over the celery and Parmesan. You can use a different container if you don’t have a mason jar. Just make sure it seals well so it doesn’t leak out when you shake it!
Easy Celery Salad with Parmesan
- 1 bunch celery
- 2 oz shaved parmesan cheese, shaved or broken up into small pieces
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 6 Tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves only
- Slice the entire bunch of celery, leaves and all, into approximately 1" pieces, only discarding the bottom. Toss with parmesan cheese and place onto a serving dish or platter.
- In a mason jar, add lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper and fresh thyme leaves. Shake together until thoroughly combined. Pour mixture over celery and parmesan and serve.
Although not a widely well known dish, I hope you enjoyed this recipe and consider making it soon! Here are some other recipes that would pair well with it:
- Dijon Panko Crusted Salmon
- Baked Spaghetti Squash with Tuscan Alfredo
- Italian Style Meatloaf with Marinara
As always, Happy Cooking!