Dark Chocolate Orange Biscotti is a perfect anytime treat. These Italian biscuits have a subtle orange flavor that pairs perfectly with the dark chocolate.
- 1 cup whole almonds
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter (melted)
- 2 Tablespoons orange-flavored liqueur
- 2 Tablespoons dark rum
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon orange zest (approximately 1 large orange)
- 3 large whole eggs
- 2 ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 16 oz bittersweet chocolate (chopped)
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- On a baking sheet, spread out whole almonds. Bake in preheated oven for 10-12 minutes until lightly browned, tossing them halfway through cooking. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Meanwhile in a large bowl, combine sugar, melted butter, orange-flavored liqueur, rum, and vanilla extract. Stir together until ingredients are combined.
- After almonds are cooled, chop them finely and add into the bowl with the butter and sugar mixture. Add in eggs and stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir to combine and then add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Mix until just combined. The mixture will be thick and sticky.
- Cover the bowl with the dough in plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 30 minutes to chill.
- Remove dough from the fridge and line the baking sheet used to cook the almonds with parchment paper. Turn out the chilled dough onto the prepared baking sheet. Wet your hands with water and form into a large loaf shape is approximately 8" wide by 13" long.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes until pale golden. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the baking sheet for 15 minutes.
- Transfer the slightly cooled loaf to a cutting board and cut into 12 equal slices and then cut each slice in half.
- Remove parchment paper from the previously used baking sheet and place the cut slices directly onto the sheet pan, cut side down.
- Bake another 18-20 minutes until golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool completely on a cooling rack.
- Once biscotti has completely cooled, place chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 30-second increments at 50% power, stirring in between. Be careful not to microwave too long or the chocolate will burn. Only cook it until the chocolate is 75% melted and then stir it until it finishes melting.
- Dip biscotti ends into dark chocolate and then transfer to a sheet of parchment or waxed paper to dry.
Biscotti recipe adapted from Epicurious - Nonna's Biscotti
Orange flavored liqueur and rum can be substituted for orange juice.
- Category: Dessert, Snack
- Cuisine: Italian
- Calories: 236
Keywords: biscotti, blood orange, chocolate, cookie, holidays, vegetarian