This quick and easy curry chicken salad is perfect for both lettuce wraps and sandwiches. Made with grapes and pecans, this delicious cold salad is perfect for lunch or a quick snack!
This post was originally published in February 2018 and has been updated for content.
Chicken salad is probably my favorite of all the retro cold creamy salads out there. Not only is it versatile, but you can come up with so many great flavor combinations. This version puts a unique spin on the old classic and is soon to be your new favorite!
🍇 Ingredient notes
- Chicken - I recommend using rotisserie chicken for this recipe. Not only does it make it easier to prep, but it also adds great flavor. You can certainly cook your own chicken for this recipe or you can use canned chicken as well.
- Pecans - The pecans add a great flavor and crunch to this recipe. They can certainly be omitted to make this recipe nut free. Sliced almonds, chopped walnuts, cashews or sunflower seeds could be used as alternatives.
- Grapes - The fruity flavor of the grapes pairs so well with the creamy mayo and warm flavor of the curry. Chopped apples, dried cranberries and raisins could also be used.
📋 Substitutions and variations
- Vegetarian - For a delicious vegetarian version of this salad, try substituting the chicken for chickpeas.
- Veggies - If you want to make this chicken salad without celery, chopped bell pepper, cucumbers or green onions would be great alternatives.
🔪 Step by step instructions
First, combine all of your ingredients into a mixing bowl and then mix everything together until all of the ingredients are evenly distributed through the salad.
Chill the chicken salad in the refrigerator for 30 minutes and then serve on lettuce, bread, rolls or crackers!
⭐ Expert tips
- Make sure to chill the chicken salad for at least 30 minutes before serving for the best flavor and texture.
- Chop your chicken in similar sized pieces as the grapes for easy eating and serving, especially on sandwiches.
💭 Frequently asked questions
I don't recommend freezing this chicken salad. The quality of the salad is greatly diminished after thawing and because of the fruit in it, the salad will be watery and will separate when thawed.
🍽 Serving sizes and suggestions
The serving size of chicken salad can vary from 2-8 ounces, depending on how it's being served and what it's being served with.
- Mini Croissants or Mini Lettuce Wraps - Allow for 2 ounces of salad per sandwich or piece of lettuce and between 1-3 sandwiches/wraps per person.
- Full Sandwiches - Allow for 4-6 ounces of salad per sandwich depending on the size of bread or roll used.
- Entree/Salad - If serving this salad as an entree on it's own or on top of lettuce, allow for 6-8 ounces of salad per person.
⏲️ Make ahead and storage suggestions
I don't recommend making this salad more than 1 day ahead of time for the maximum possible freshness. After the chicken salad is mixed together, store it in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
Leftovers will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
🥗 More salad recipes
If you loved this recipe for curry chicken salad, check out these other homemade salad recipes that I know you will love too!
Don't forget! If you make this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and give it a rating. I love to hear from each and every one of you! Tag me on Facebook and Instagram as well! It makes my day to see all of your photos of the food you have made.Print