Creamy Mushroom Risotto is cooked slowly in vegetable broth and finished off with freshly grated parmesan cheese. This easy mushroom risotto recipe takes time to prepare, but the end result is so worth the effort. Tender and creamy, this risotto is perfect for Sunday dinner or to share with family.
What is Risotto?
Risotto is an Italian dish that is cooked slowly in broth until it reaches a super creamy consistency. I recommend using arborio rice when making risotto for it's starchy consistency. Arborio rice is found in most local grocery stores and it makes an extra creamy risotto! Risotto is so versatile and can be flavored with all sorts of things from vegetables to meats and of course different seasonings. This Creamy Mushroom Risotto is one of my favorite vegetarian risotto recipes to make.
Creamy Mushroom Risotto
When my husband and I first started dating, risotto was the first meal that I made for him. He still to this day talks about it and how much he loved it. Risotto is not a quick dish, but rather one that is made with love. It takes time to cook and to let the rice absorb the broth, but then you will end up with a creamy comforting dish. While this dish takes time to cook, it's easy to put together and the flavors are simple. Serve this delicious creamy risotto as a main dish alongside salad or bread or serve it alongside other food as a tasty side dish.
Ingredients for Risotto
Only a few simple ingredients are needed to put together this recipe for the best mushroom risotto. Here is list of what you will need:
- Olive oil
- Arborio rice
- White wine
- Vegetable broth
- Half and half
- Parmesan cheese
If you prefer to make risotto without wine, you can omit it and just replace it with extra broth. If you would like to make this risotto vegan, you can substitute the butter for extra olive oil, replace the half and half with unsweetened non-dairy milk and omit the parmesan cheese.
How to Make Mushroom Risotto
Making risotto from scratch shouldn't be intimidating. It's pretty simple, however it just takes time. Make sure you use a large enough pan as the rice will expand with the addition of the broth. I like to use my Enameled Dutch Oven or 15" Cast Iron Pan to make this.
- First, you will heat up your broth on the stove so it's warm when you are ready to add it to your risotto.
- Then you will saute your onion and garlic in the butter and olive oil and then add in your sliced mushrooms to cook for a bit.
- Next, you will add in your arborio rice and let it toast, and start to get golden brown.
- Then you will start adding your broth, about ½ cup at a time while stirring until the rice absorbs the broth. Make sure your heat is on medium or medium low. It should be gently simmering and take a couple of minutes to absorb.
- Repeat step 4 until the rice is creamy and cooked through. The rice should not be hard, but al dente, with a slight bite to it. You may or may not use all of the broth.
- Lastly, finish off by adding in the half and half and parmesan cheese and serve!
More Recipes You Will Love...
If you liked this recipe for my Creamy Mushroom Risotto, try these other delicious vegetarian dishes that I know you will love:
- No Fry Eggplant Parmesan
- Roasted Eggplant and Spinach Penne
- Baked Spaghetti Squash with Tuscan Alfredo
- Cast Iron Pan Pizza
Lastly, if you make this recipe, please be sure to leave a comment and give it a rating. I love to hear from each and every one of you! Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram as well, if you make any of my recipes. It makes my day to see all of your photos of the food you have made.