Good Morning! I hope everyone enjoyed their Valentine’s Day. I did a poll recently on Instagram to see what kind of recipes that you all are looking for. One of my goals with this blog is to make sure that I’m putting recipes out there that everyone finds useful and that they want to cook. In the poll, quite a few people opted for comfort food, but the majority wanted more healthy recipes. Unanimously everyone voted for snacks over desserts. So, today, I’m sharing with you one of my favorite healthy snacks, Coconut Sriracha Popcorn.
When I was a little girl, I remember my mom making popcorn and hot chocolate as an after-school snack on rainy days. It was one of my favorite things and is a tradition that I have carried on with my kids to this day. I like coming with different flavors for their popcorn too, just to make it fun! This is a flavor combination that I came up with a while ago and I have to say, it’s one of my favorites. My husband and I like to make this when we are watching movies or just as a fun afternoon snack. I try to double this sometimes to make it last for a while, but it usually doesn’t make it through the day! It’s a little bit sweet and a little bit salty and has a decent spicy kick to it.
Typically, I will keep a supply of popcorn kernels in my pantry that I purchase in bulk. I prefer this over using microwave bagged popcorn. The microwave bags usually have quite a bit of butter and salt. Yes, I know that’s what makes them so good, however, we are trying to come up with healthy snacks to eat, remember? If you don’t have a popcorn popper, have no fear, you can still make delicious popcorn in a snap. The brown paper lunch sack method I have listed in the recipe below is one my sister showed me a while back and it works great! Feel free to kick up the sriracha a bit if you like. The amount listed is a good balance in my opinion, but I have been known to add in a bit more when I’m feeling spicy!
Don’t forget, if you make one of my recipes, make sure you share a picture of it with me!
You can post and tag me, I’d love to see all of your creations! #SaporitoKitchen
Pinterest: Saporito Kitchen
Facebook: Saporito Kitchen
Pin This Recipe Now!
Coconut Sriracha Popcorn
- 1/4 cup unpopped popcorn kernels
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon sriracha
- 1/4 teaspoon coconut extract
- pinch kosher salt
- Place unpopped popcorn kernels in a brown paper lunch sack and fold over twice to seal. Cook in the microwave either on the popcorn setting or for approximately 1 1/2 - 2 minutes. When the popping slows to about 10 seconds between pops, it should be done.
- In a small bowl, combine coconut oil, honey, sriracha and coconut extract. Stir to combine.
- Dump popped popcorn into a large bowl and slowly drizzle oil and honey mixture over the popcorn while stirring. Stir and toss the popcorn to make sure it is evenly coated with the liquid mixture.