Like every mom out there, I do my best to feed my kids a healthy breakfast before school. I’ll admit though, even I can can get stuck in the sugary cereal and frozen waffle rut. Not that there is anything wrong that, but, I try and give them a variety of things for breakfast and limit the sugar if I can. I’m jealous of the parents that are able to feed their kids oatmeal for breakfast. Not because I’m not capable of preparing it for them, but more that my kids are less capable of “receiving” it. These Cinnamon Applesauce Muffins are my compromise. A little bit sweet, but a little healthier than frozen chocolate chip waffles.
My youngest, as most of you know, struggles with food allergies. Now that he is past the one year mark, things have definitely improved. He still can’t handle a lot of wheat or dairy, so I try and get creative with snacks and meals for him. These muffins started as a breakfast option for my older kids but I modified them to be dairy free for him. Someday soon, I would like to see if I can omit the egg and perhaps make them gluten-free. For now, this works great for us. If dairy isn’t an issue for you, you can use real butter. I have made them both ways and they taste great either way.
I originally found this recipe on Genius Kitchen and then modified it a tad based on the ingredients I had. In making these a few times, I have used both regular applesauce and cinnamon applesauce. The cinnamon applesauce turns out better in my personal opinion. It adds an additional spice to the muffins that really works well. The applesauce in the recipe makes them incredibly moist and also gives them a sweet fruity flavor. I like these because not only are they dairy free, but also oil free. My kids love having them for breakfast with yogurt or as an after-school snack. They would also make an excellent addition to breakfast or brunch for Easter this weekend!
Don’t forget, if you make one of my recipes, make sure you share a picture of it with me!
You can post your picture on social media and tag me; I love seeing all of your creations! #SaporitoKitchen
Pinterest: Saporito Kitchen
Facebook: Saporito Kitchen
Pin This Recipe Now!
Cinnamon Applesauce Muffins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large whole egg
- 1 cup cinnamon applesauce
- 1/2 cup dairy free butter, melted and cooled
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a muffin tin with liners.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- In a small bowl combine egg, applesauce, and butter and whisk until well combined.
- Pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until the ingredients are just combined.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes until slightly browned and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the middle.