This cast iron chicken pot pie recipe is a tasty weeknight dinner idea when you are looking for delicious comfort food. Chunks of juicy chicken are mixed with vegetables and a creamy homemade sauce and then topped with buttery, flaky jumbo biscuits.
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 Tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 Tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 Tablespoon dried sage
- 3 Tablespoons all purpose flour
- 4 cups chopped cooked chicken, approximately 4 chicken breasts
- 3 cups chopped baked potato, approximately 3 small potatoes
- 12 oz frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 packages refrigerated biscuit dough
- Preheat oven to 400˚ and heat a large cast iron pan over medium heat on the stovetop.
- Add butter and olive oil to the pre-heated pan and heat until melted.
- Add diced onions and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 3 minutes until they start to soften. Add chopped garlic and herbs and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 more minute.
- Sprinkle flour over the onions, garlic, and herbs and stir to combine, cooking for 1 additional minute.
- Stir in chicken, potatoes, and frozen vegetables and stir to combine.
- Add in chicken stock, milk, salt, and pepper, and increase heat to medium high. Cook while continuously stirring until the mixture is smooth and thickened.
- Open biscuits and place on top of the filling and move the pan to the preheated oven. Cook for 20 minutes or until biscuits are cooked through and browned on top.
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Stove Top, Oven, Cast Iron
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chicken, cast iron, sunday dinner, comfort food