One of my favorite healthy go-to snacks these days is granola. I’ll have some for breakfast in the morning or for a filling snack in the afternoon. I have a few types of store-bought granola that I like, but homemade is really the best. When I was younger I remember my mom making granola once in a while and I always loved it. This is a recipe that I came up with recently for my Cashew Coconut Homemade Granola. It’s a little bit sweet and a little bit salty and best of all, it’s gluten-free and vegan!
Gluten Free & Vegan
I have talked before about my food sensitivities and how I avoid dairy, wheat, and eggs. This can be difficult when it comes to anything breakfast related, especially granola! So many types of granola out there contain wheat, dairy or both. I have decided that it’s just easier (and less expensive!) to make my own. It doesn’t take a lot of time to put this Cashew Coconut Homemade Granola together and it’s great for meal prep. You can make it on Sunday and munch on it the rest of the week.
How to Make Your Own Granola
Making your own granola is super simple and it’s nice because you know what’s in it and don’t have to worry about potential allergens. Once you stick with a very simple stock base recipe, you can customize your granola however you like. I like coming up with different combinations depending on the seasons too. This is by far one of my favorite flavor combos yet. I like using carob chips and unsweetened coconut flakes so the granola isn’t super sweet. The cashews and pumpkin seeds add a nice crunch and the dried black currants add a nice texture to it. The carob chips can be substituted for another dairy-free chocolate chip if you like. The dried black currants can be substituted for raisins or another dried fruit. Get creative and come up with your favorite combo!
Don’t forget, if you make one of my recipes, make sure you share a picture of it with me!
You can post and tag me, I’d love to see all of your creations! #SaporitoKitchen
Pinterest: Saporito Kitchen
Facebook: Saporito Kitchen
Pin This Recipe Now!
Cashew Coconut Homemade Granola
- 4 cup rolled oats, gluten free if needed
- 1/2 cup raw unsalted cashew pieces
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup dried black currants, or raisins
- 1/2 cup carob chips, or dairy free chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup dark maple syrup
- 3 Tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, cashews, coconut, pumpkin seeds, black currants and carob chips. Stir to combine.
- In a small bowl, combine coconut oil, maple syrup, coconut sugar and salt and whisk to combine.
- Pour liquid mixture into the oats mixtures and stir to combine. Make sure liquid is evenly distributed throughout all of the dry ingredients so they are all moistened.
- Pour granola out onto the prepared baking sheet and spread out so the granola is laid out in an even layer.
- Bake at 250 degrees for 45 minutes to 1 hour, stirring halfway through. The granola should be golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let cool completely.