Carbonara Mac and Cheese
Carbonara Mac and Cheese is the BEST comfort food mash up with an extra creamy sauce, double the cheese and crispy bacon pieces.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Main Course, Side Dish
- Cuisine: American, Italian
- 1 pound shell shaped pasta
- ½ pound thick cut bacon (diced)
- 2 Tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 large eggs (slightly beaten)
- 1 cup shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese (divided)
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- In a medium sauté pan over medium high heat, cook bacon for 10-15 minutes or until crispy. Remove bacon pieces from the pan and let drain on a paper towel. Drain all of the grease, except 2 Tablespoons from the pan.
- Sprinkle the flour into the reserved bacon grease and whisk to combine. Continue to whisk and cook for 1 minute.
- While whisking, slowly add milk. Continue to whisk and cook mixture until it thickens, approximately 5 minutes.
- Remove the sauce from the heat and take approximately ¼ cup of the sauce and add it to a small bowl with the egg mixture, while mixing continuously. This will help bring the temperature of the eggs up slowly, so they do not scramble when you add them into the pan. Once the egg is mixed with the ¼ cup of sauce, add it all back to the pan, whisking continuously. Cook the sauce over medium low heat while continuing to whisk for 5 additional minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk in cheddar cheese and ½ cup of the parmesan cheese. Add in nutmeg, salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- Put cooked pasta in a serving dish and pour finished sauce over the top and mix until the sauce covers all of the pasta. Sprinkle finished pasta with remaining parmesan cheese and crispy bacon pieces.
Keywords: bacon, cheese, pasta